Conference championships nearing for Warriors divers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taylor Trejo of the EC Warriors men’s diving team performing a dive during the South Coast Conference Diving Invitational on Saturday, March 23 at the EC Pool. Trejo is one of many Warriors divers competing at this year's Southern California Diving Championships. Photo credit: Jun Ueda

The 2019 South Coast Conference Diving Championships (SCCDC) will take place at the EC Pool on Friday, April 12, and Saturday, April 13.

The top eight divers from the SCCDC will go on to compete in the California Community College Athletic Association State Championships (CCCAA) at De Anza College in Cupertino, California starting Saturday, May 4.

“All of the men and women . . . will be competing against each other to try to get one of the top spots,” Warriors men’s and women’s swim team coach Corey Stanbury said.

Warriors diver Athena Katsouridis was among those who made it into the CCCAA Championships as a result of her performance at last year’s SCCDC. She also received the Southern California Conference Diver of the Year award.

Katsouridis finished last year’s CCCAA Championships placing fourth in the one meter and fifth in the three meter diving events. Despite a lingering injury, Katsouridis will compete at this year’s SCCDC.

“She’s probably one of the best, if not the best diver in Southern California,” Stanbury said. “But, we’ll have to see what kind of limitations we’re gonna have to deal with.”

Warriors divers Tyler Trejo and Ryan Steck will also be competing.

“They’ve got a great chance to make it,” Stanbury said.

Edit (8:23 p.m.): The location of the 2019 South Coast Conference Diving Championships was edited for clarity.

• Conference championships nearing for Warriors divers

Sports

Warriors push past Fullerton with strong fourth inning

Sports

2 Warriors divers advance to state championships

Sports

6-point comeback punctuates Warriors’ 3-0 sweep against Santa Barbara

Sports

Warriors badminton team beats Compton twice in 1 day, extends winning streak to 3

Sports

Warriors beat Long Beach in battle for first place

Sports

Women’s badminton team defeats East L.A. 18-3

Sports

Warriors women’s beach volleyball sweeps matches versus Mt. San Antonio, Santa Ana

Sports

Ventura, Riverside City win diving invitational

Sports

Dogs arrive on-campus for Warriors softball’s ‘Bark in the Park’

Sports

Warriors swimmers finish strong against East L.A., Long Beach