Warriors win various swimming and diving challenges during home meet

It was a busy afternoon on Friday, March 23 at the El Camino College swimming pool. The ECC men and women swimming and diving teams battled it out with Rio Hondo College and Cerritos College, and topped both.

The meet included a total of 30 swimming events, ranging from 50 to 1,000 yards, medleys, and relays.

001
The El Camino College swimming and diving team competed against Cerritos and Rio Hondo College on Friday, March 23 at the EC Pool. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

The Warriors’ dominance was mostly due to multiple individual wins. The ECC womens’ side featured three triple winners: Andrea Canchola won the 200, 500, and 1,000 freestyle; Cindy Ngo won the 50 and 100 freestyle, and the 100 backstroke; Clare Siverts won the 100 and 200 breaststroke, and the 200 individual medley.

01-K75_5005.JPG
Butterfly leg of the men's 200 yard medley relay during the Warriors v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual swimming and diving meet on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan
009
Anthony Dupin de Saint Cyr during the swimming and diving meet against Cerritos and Rio Hondo College on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

The ECC mens’ side featured two double winners. Aziz Jaouhar won the 100 and 200 backstroke; Wyatt Kircher won the 200 freestyle and the 200 individual medley. Jaouhar’s time of 1:58.16 in the 200 backstroke was fourth all-time best in school history.

Jack's #11 / 43-K75_5997.JPG
Aziz Jaouhar anchored the ECC men's 400 yard freestyle relay win during the ECC v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual swimming and diving meet on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan
1-K75_5140.JPG
Jason Gottschalk looks back after winning the men's 1000 yard freestyle during the ECC v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual swimming and diving meet on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan

On the team front, the ECC men (Wyatt Kircher, Matthew Thorne, Brayan Salgado, and Aziz Jaouhar) won the 400 freestyle relay crowning event, while the ECC women (Andrea Canchola, Clare Siverts, Samantha Beattie, and Cindy Ngo) won the 200 medley relay.

Miyung3
A Warrior swimming freestyle during the ECC v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual meet on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Miyung Kim

ECC secured comfortable victories over Rio Hondo and Cerritos, even without fielding a team for the women’s 400 freestyle relay as one team member was sick.

15-K75_5528.JPG
Athena Katsouridis and other Warriors listen to their coach's instructions before the diving events begin on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan
06-K75_5126.JPG
Sean Hamada swims the 1000 yard freestyle, during the ECC v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual swimming and diving meet. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Sandwiched between the two swimming halves, the diving events were punctuated by Jean Liu posting 218.35 on the 3-m board, only a week after her teammate Athena Katsouridis broke the 200 benchmark with a 200.20 at another dual meet.

24-K75_5696.JPG
Athena Katsouridis spots the water surface during the ECC v. Rio Hondo and Cerritos College dual swimming and diving meet on Friday, March 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Besides current ECC diving coach Laurie Dawdy, Liu and Katsouridis are the only two other women to surpass 200 points in school history, making this the top-scoring ECC women’s diving team combination ever.