Ventura, Riverside City win diving invitational

Ventura College diver Deon Crilly moments after jumping off the diving board at the South Coast Conference Diving Invitational being held at the EC Pool on Saturday, March 23. Photo credit: Jun Ueda

Divers from El Camino College, Ventura College, Los Angeles Valley College and Riverside City College competed in the South Coast Conference Diving Invitational on Saturday, March 23, at the EC Pool.

Deon Crilly from Ventura College earned the highest overall score for the men’s division. Celina Melgoza from Riverside City College had the highest score in the women’s division.

ND5_5454.JPG
Riverside City College diver Celina Melgoza performing her dive in front of five judges, two pictured, at the South Coast Conference Diving Invitational at the EC Pool on Saturday, March 23. Photo credit: Jun Ueda

“I did pretty good, but I think that I can still improve a lot,” Crilly said.

The invitational consisted of four rounds, each with divers performing various dives for the panel of five judges.

“I’m off about 10 points [from my personal record] since this event had a higher degree of difficulty,” Crilly said. “My dives were a lot harder than last time I competed, so the points were a little off.”

_MG_9508.jpg
Rio Hondo diver Aaron Augustine preparing for one of his four dives during the South Coast Conference Diving Invitational on Saturday, March 23, at the EC Pool. There were divers from El Camino College, Ventura College, Los Angeles Valley College and Riverside City College Photo credit: Delesia Jackson

The swim and dive schedule for the El Camino Warriors continues with the South Coast Conference Diving Championships, which will take place on Friday, April 12, and Saturday, April 13, at 12:30 p.m. at the EC Pool.