Softball team splits against San Diego

Sophomore catcher Gabby Fordiani attempts to get a San Diego Mesa player out at home base. The Warriors tied the first game 4-4 and lost the second game 6-5 in a double header against the Olympians on Friday afternoon. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The EC softball team battled San Diego Mesa College (SD Mesa) in a doubleheader at home.

It was a beautiful chilly day at EC when the Warriors started their first game against SD Mesa. In the first game the Warriors beat SD Mesa 5-4 in seven innings.

The Warriors started off strong scoring their first run at the bottom of the first inning when sophomore first baseman Danielle Bonsky hit a single to center field letting sophomore outfielder Kirsten Romero score.

“(Bonsky) has done such a good job of just doing what we tell her to do,” coach Jessica Rapoza said. “She makes really big adjustments when we need her to make big adjustments and she kind of sets the tone for he rest of the team.”

The Warriors scored two runs in the third inning and then took the lead in the sixth inning after scoring two more runs. Sophomore shortstop Tori Garcia had two RBIs and Bonsky and sophomore outfielder Jacqueline Gonzalez had one RBI a piece.

In the second game the Warriors tried to keep up the momentum from the first game but they couldn’t hold on to the lead loosing 6-5 in an eight inning tiebreaker.

The Warriors struggled early in the second game. Neither team scored until the third inning. By the bottom of the sixth SD Mesa was leading 5-1.

At the bottom of the six inning the Warriors had a renewed energy scoring four runs and tying the game.

“The second game I feel like I saw a fire in our team that I had not seen yet and I was very excited to see that we have that intensity (and) that energy,” coach Rapoza said.

With the game tied at the end of the seventh inning the Warriors and SD Mesa went into sudden death taking the game to eight innings. At the end of the eighth inning the Warriors lost 6-5.

“Our performance we need to carry the fire that we had in the last three innings where we fought and fought and fought we need to carry on to tomorrow’s game which is at Palomar,” Bonsky said.

The Wariors’ next home game is March 10 against Pasadena City College at 3 p.m.

“I think we need to have a little more fire and have more of an attack mentality rather than laid back and kind of like oh going through the motions,” Garcia said. “We need to from the very first inning, the very first pitch go out hard.”