Softball pitches shutout against College of the Desert; sweeps doubleheader

Freshman third baseman Maleigha Quintero runs to first base and makes it safe after College of the Desert fails to get Quintero out during the third inning. The warriors defeated College of the Desert 5-0 on Friday. Photo credit: John Fordiani

With runners in scoring position in the bottom of the third inning, El Camino softball was looking to take the advantage and beat the visitors.

It didn’t take long for freshmen Kammy Fisher and Brooke Sarro to crush back-to-back doubles and clear the bases.

The Warriors (5-1) earned their first shutout of the season in the second game of a doubleheader with a 5-0 win over College of the Desert (0-4) on Friday.

Sarro had a dominant start for the Warriors, allowing only two hits in four scoreless innings. Sarro also drove in one run with two hits in three at-bats.

“Honestly, I have to give credit to my team,” Sarro said. “They backed me up and played really (well). I think we had an all around A-plus day.”

The game remained scoreless after two innings until Warriors’ catcher Maleigha Quintero ignited a four-run third inning with a line drive single to score center fielder Kattya Calderon.

“I feel like we did pretty (well) today,” Calderon said. “We hit the ball well and had very good execution on defense.”

The Warriors executed superb defense against the Roadrunners allowing just three hits in 24 at-bats with zero errors. El Camino finished with six hits in 26 at-bats.

“I thought our pitchers did a great job getting ahead in the count and eliminating free passes,” Warriors coach Jessica Rapoza said. “They hit their spots really well and kept the hitters off-balance.”

Fisher had another excellent game for the Warriors with two hits in three at-bats and two runners batted in. Fisher concluded the doubleheader on Friday with five hits in six at-bats and four RBIs.

The Warriors will face Orange Coast College (1-0) and Santa Barbara City College (2-0) on Feb. 9 for another day of doubleheaders at home.

“I think we did a great job defensively,” Rapoza said. “If we keep improving and keep focusing on what our job is every game, then I think our chances at another (conference championship) are pretty good.