El Camino football falls short of comeback, loses to College of the Canyons

El Camino College freshman running back Zamir Hall breaks away from College of the Canyons’ defense during a home game at Featherstone Field on Oct. 12. Hall recorded seven carries for 56 yards in a 31-21 conference loss to the Cougars. El Camino will next be on the road against Santa Barbara on Oct. 21 in a conference matchup at 6 p.m. (Greg Fontanilla | The Union)

The El Camino College football team gave a courageous effort but was defeated by the College of the Canyon Cougars 31-21 at Murdock Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 12.

Before the game the Associated Students Organization hosted a Homecoming Tailgate for students to come and support the football team while getting free food and participating in activities during halftime.

“Hope we come out and play great tonight, and show the crowd how we play,” El Camino coach Gifford Lindheim said before the game.

After the Cougars scored a touchdown within the first three minutes of the game, they stopped the Warriors’ first offensive drive with a strong defense. The Cougars would follow up with another touchdown to make the score 14-0.

Players run after an El Camino football player during a football game against the College of the Canyons team at El Camino on Thursday, Oct. 12. (Bryan Sanchez | The Union)
Players run after an El Camino football player during a football game against the College of the Canyons team at El Camino on Wednesday, Oct. 12. (Bryan Sanchez | The Union)

With five minutes left in the first quarter, El Camino running back Marceese Yetts made a 25-yard return with the ball to try to set up a touchdown but the Cougars’ defense was able to stop the Warriors from reaching the end zone.

Yetts said before the game the team “has been preparing all week” to face the Cougars and came into the game ready to win.

When the second quarter came, the Warriors’ offense stepped up scored two touchdowns to tie the game 14-14. One touchdown was a pass to defensive back Decobi Davis.

The Cougars’ offense was no match for the Warriors’ defense again after scoring another touchdown and converting the extra point kick to give them a 21-14 lead at halftime.

El Camino running back Amani Givens rushes past College of the Canyons players during a home game at El Camino College on Thursday, Oct. 12. (Bryan Sanchez | The Union)
El Camino running back Amani Givens rushes past College of the Canyons players during a home game at El Camino College on Wednesday, Oct. 12. (Bryan Sanchez | The Union)

In the third quarter both teams seemed they were not going to let either side score. With the ball going back and forth, the Warriors were doing their best to tie the game again.

El Camino tried all they could on offense to get another touchdown with quarterback Champion Edwards attempting passes to his receivers and handing the ball off to running back Zamir Hall.

However, the Warriors could not handle the defensive pressure from the Cougars.

El Camino College sophomore cornerback Jonathan Tillman tackles College of the Canyons wide receiver Jacobee Taylor during an Oct. 12 home game at Featherstone Field. Tillman recorded two tackles in a 31-21 conference loss against Canyons. El Camino will be on the road on Oct. 21 in a conference matchup against Santa Barbara at 6 p.m.
El Camino College sophomore cornerback Jonathan Tillman tackles College of the Canyons wide receiver Jacobee Taylor during an Oct. 12 home game at Featherstone Field. Tillman recorded two tackles in a 31-21 conference loss against Canyons. El Camino will be on the road on Oct. 21 in a conference matchup against Santa Barbara at 6 p.m. (Greg Fontanilla | The Union)

The Cougars made clutch plays towards the end of the game by making a 43-yard field goal to give them a 24-14 lead, followed by making an interception to get the ball back and score a final touchdown, putting the game out of reach.

In the last 30 seconds of the game, El Camino wide receiver Joshua Lorick was able to score another touchdown for the Warriors to make the final score 31-21 in favor of the Cougars.

“We played hard, fought hard to the end, but didn’t get the outcome we wanted, so it’s on to next week,” El Camino wide receiver Kavon Townsend said.

Next Game
El Camino vs. Santa Barbara College
@ Santa Barbara College
Date: Saturday, Oct. 21
Time: 6 p.m.