Student experiences medical emergency during campus event

LGBTQIA+ Student Success Coordinator Kenny Simkins speaks with an El Camino College police officer while medical technicians respond to an emergency 911 call. Simkins made the call immediately as the student began to hyperventilate during an event held at the Social Justice Center. (Khoury Williams | The Union)

A female student who experienced breathing complications during an event hosted at the Social Justice Center was carried away on a stretcher by Los Angeles County emergency services on Wednesday, Oct. 18.

The student, wearing a pink floral shirt, was participating in the LGBTQIA+ PRIDE Center’s History Month movie screening of “The Times of Harvey Milk” when she suddenly covered her heart and began hyperventilating at approximately 1:27 p.m.

Emergency medical technicians carry a stretcher to transport a student suffering from breathing complications during an event at the Social Justice Center on Oct. 18. A 911 call was made approximately at 1:27 p.m. when the student began hyperventilating at the event. (Khoury Williams | The Union)
Emergency medical technicians carry a stretcher to transport a student suffering from breathing complications during an event at the Social Justice Center on Oct. 18. (Khoury Williams | The Union)

LGBTQIA+ Student Success Coordinator Kenny Simkins was hosting the event when the student began hyperventilating and immediately called 911.

Paramedics and firefighters arrived at 1:36 p.m. but circled campus for 7 minutes before stopping at the circular driveway between parking Lot C and the Student Services Building at 1:43 p.m.

Los Angeles County emergency services responded to a 911 call regarding a student suffering breathing complications during an LGBTQIA+ event held at the Social Justice Center on Oct. 18. Paramedics and firefighters arrived at 1:36 p.m. but circled campus for 7 minutes before stopping at the circular driveway between parking Lot C and the Student Services Building. (Khoury Williams | The Union)
A man walks past parked emergency vehicles after first responders rushed to respond to a student suffering breathing complications during an LGBTQIA+ event held at the Social Justice Center on Oct. 18. (Khoury Williams | The Union)

Emergency medical technicians and firefighters rushed to the Social Justice Center and assisted the student behind closed doors before carrying her out on a stretcher to the nearest ambulance truck at 1:48 p.m.

El Camino College Police Officer Ruben Lopez was at the scene of the incident when emergency services arrived, but he could not give The Union updates on the condition of the student at the time.

“All I know is that it was a medical aid call made 10 minutes ago,” Lopez said.

This is a developing story.