Men’s volleyball struggles to finish in loss against Golden West College

Freshman outsidehitter Chris Phanngam digs the ball during the third set against Golden West College on Friday Feb. 12. The Warriors lost to the Rustlers 3-2. Photo credit: John Fordiani

After getting dominated 25-8 in the third set, the visitors would not go down without a fight trailing 1-2 in the match.

The home-team Warriors got complacent, thought it would be easy and struggled to find footing in the fourth set, losing it 22-25.

The El Camino men’s volleyball team (1-2 overall, no conference games played) could not outlast the Golden West College Rustlers (4-1 overall, no conference games played) and lost 3-2 (26-24, 23-25, 25-8, 22-25, 13-15) today.

EC head coach Dick Blount said that the team “thought they were great” after the third set win and got weaker as the match went on.

“We weren’t mentally tough,” he said. “It’s a lesson, I told them I don’t want to see (another team celebrating in here) again.”

A problem for the Warriors was the service errors down the stretch and Blount could not have been more blunt about his team’s serving performance.

“Pathetic,” he said.

Sophomore libero Andre Labayan said Golden West was a lot better in the serving department and that his team needs to work on things going into the future.

“They had good passing,” he said. “They played really well, but (we need to work) on communication.”

Golden West head coach Paul Munoz thought it was a great game and expected this sort of match going in.

“(El Camino) was scrappy,” he said. “Nothing drops on their side and we focused on not playing one-touch volleyball.”

Although Labayan thought the Rustlers were good on the serve, the visitors also had problems with the errors, but Munoz couldn’t care less.

“I have three or four great servers,” Munoz said. “I’m never going to tell them to not be aggressive, that’s not what I want.”

With a tough loss at home, the Warriors will try to bounce back as they host undefeated San Diego City College (3-0) for a non-conference game on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the South Gym.