The Warriors’ Sports Column

With the junior college football season winding down, one of the top community college football programs in the country faces another losing season.

El Camino has one of the highest winning percentages in the last 30 years and has placed over 600 former athletes into major college programs however last season they finished 3-7 and are going down the same barrel this season.

At 3-5 and 2-2 in conference play, the Warriors must finish the season strong and win its final two games versus Mt. SAC and Long Beach City College to salvage the season.

The offense has showed signs of greatness, averaging 29.5 points a game along with 403 yards per game. On the other hand the defense gives up a whopping 34.4 points per game.

Plagued by players leaving due to graduation, the offense got a boost with a slew of talented incoming freshman wide receivers. Those freshman are Russell Shaw, whose father also played at EC, Stevie Williams, Dajuan Parham, Isaac Cox, Sean Luna and William Morehand.

During the season, Coach John Featherstone has mentioned how good they practiced all week but on game day, the team comes out flat and lethargic.

The season got off to a sizzling start with a 31-23 win over Pasadena City College, as the defense rolled up 10 sacks and the offense saw freshman wide receiver Stevie Williams tally seven receptions for 112 yards and a touchdown in his debut.

Fans in Ventura were witness to one of the most exciting games in junior college football history when EC lost to Ventura 59-58, in the final seconds of a wild shootout. Sophomore quarterback Jorge Hernandez had a huge night, completing 37 of 54 passes for 602 yards and six touchdowns, while adding a rushing touchdown.

Overall, the season has been a disappointment with such a talented roster that looked like a contender at the beginning of the season.