Baseball team gets prepared for regionals

dena City College, the Warriors added more wins to the record while getting ready to head to regionals this week.

With a series of wins in its last games of the season, regionals and a state championship loom over the Warriors as the team seeks to accomplish its goal of the season with a state championship win.

“The team is playing well, we have to remain consistent and continue to get better by the basic fundamentals,” Tony Asaro, assistant coach, said.

A complete contrast from last week games, the Warriors dominated Pasadena, a team that is last place in the South Coast Conference.

“They had nothing to really lose, if they beat us it means nothing to them (statistically speaking), but if we lose it means everything to us, so we try to imagine if they were the first place team and go out there and beat them,” Sean Isaac, pitcher, said.

On Tuesday, April 24, the first of the three games against Pasadena, the Warriors won by a large margin, 19-7.

“One of the biggest factors, we kind of changed our approach to the plate, hard line-drives through the middle, we all had that mind-set, hit the ball straight down the middle, playing offensively,” Cole Trezek, third baseman, said.

Five runs were scored by the Knights in the fifth inning giving its team a one run advantage until the Warriors scored an additional eight runs in the sixth and five in the eighth.

“Knocked down a couple runs, we didn’t back down to the challenge of over hitting them,” Trezek said. “We stuck to our approach and ended up beating them by a large margin,” Trezek added.

The April 26 game was won with a complete blowout against Pasadena, 11-0.

Pitchers Rafael Ramirez, Grant Wessel, and Sean Isaac threw a complete shutout with 10 total strikeouts and no pitching errors.

“I had faith in my defense to make plays, I just basically wanted to go out there, make strikes, and make those last three outs,” Isaac said.

In the last game of the season on April 27 the Warriors won, 6-3.

Brice Savage, infielder, scored a total of 3 runs.

“We were really happy to win our last game, plus a spot in playoffs,” Trezek said.

The Warriors will go to the regional playoffs tomorrow and Saturday with times and locations to be announced on the El Camino athletics website.

Super Regionals will be played May 11 to May 13 and if the team qualifies, the Final Four State Championship May 18 to May 20.

“How we prepare physically or mentally, we won’t change anything,” Asaro said. “We prepare our guys from the beginning of the season so we don’t have to change.”