Social Justice Center aims to build unity and equity at El Camino

Matt+Schulz+cuts+the+ribbon%2C+opening+the+new+Social+Justice+Center+at+El+Camino+College+on+Sept.+28.+Kitzia+Lopez+and+Schulz+were+among+the+student+leaders+that+pushed+for+the+centers+creation.+%28Kim+McGill+%7C+The+Union%29+

Matt Schulz cuts the ribbon, opening the new Social Justice Center at El Camino College on Sept. 28. Kitzia Lopez and Schulz were among the student leaders that pushed for the center’s creation. (Kim McGill | The Union)

More than 100 students, faculty and staff gathered on Wednesday, Sept. 28 to celebrate the opening of El Camino College’s new Social Justice Center located in the Communications Building across from Student Services.

Multiple instances of civil unrest such as the protests following the murder of George Floyd under police custody and escalating attacks on the human rights of the LGBTQIA+ population have renewed pressure for El Camino to build the center.

“I think it’s a bold and brave risk that the college is taking to create this center, because what we want to do is not just celebrate our cultural differences and have film screenings and collaborative events, but also hold the campus accountable for things that we could do better,” the center’s coordinator Monica Delgado said.

Delgado said that there are many equity programs on campus that have existed for a long time and the new center will serve as a hub for all the different ideas.

“This is what student voice and student agency looks like manifested,” El Camino College Superintendent and President Brenda Thames said to the people who came to witness the opening of El Camino&squot;s new Social Justice Center on Sept. 28 in Torrance, Calif. “Lots of people have great ideas… but when people bring you an idea and a plan of action, and then a commitment to get it done – particularly if they’re students – it is amazingly exciting," Thames added. (Kim McGill | The Union
President Brenda Thames gives a speech during the opening of the new Social Justice Center at El Camino College on Wednesday, Sept. 28. “This is what student voice and student agency looks like manifested,” Thames said. (Kim McGill | The Union)

Discussions began again in 2020 within the Associated Students Organization (ASO), spanning three administrations that worked to move the vision forward.

“The idea was to have a space where people of any background, of any origin, could come together, learn and advocate for themselves,” ASO member Matt Schulz said.

The vision and content for the center including the staffing, space and program priorities were developed by the Student Equity Advisory Council.

The center will operate as a gathering place for film screenings, discussions, workshops, and action planning. Audio-visual equipment will enable online meetings and webinars.

Campus clubs and organizations that promote justice and equity will have access to printers, a copier, computers, button making and other resources to support their social justice efforts.

More than 100 students, faculty and staff gathered on Wednesday, Sept. 28 to celebrate the opening of El Camino College’s new Social Justice Center located in the northeast corner of the Communications Building across from Student Services in Torrance, Calif. Participants were given tee-shirts, stickers and buttons. (Kim McGill | The Union)
More than 100 students, faculty and staff gathered to celebrate the opening of El Camino College’s new Social Justice Center located in the northeast corner of the Communications Building across from Student Services on Wednesday, Sept. 28. Participants were given t-shirts, stickers and buttons. (Kim McGill | The Union)

Student employee Nindiya Maheswari, described the center as a place to discuss complex topics in a safe and inclusive environment.

“After George Floyd’s murder, the students on campus wanted a place they could talk about the issues and organize and also feel safe,” Maheswari said.

Trustee Nilo Michelin went on to praise the students who made the center a reality and said that he was “proud” of their efforts and emphasized that it was the students who “pushed” the idea forward.

“As a student who went from Los Angeles Unified School District public schools to UCLA Law School, this is a special moment for me. I faced a lot of discrimination, I faced a lot of challenges, and I really needed a social justice center,” Michelin said.

Physically the space is comfortable and inspiring, including beautiful images of freedom fighters and innovators on the walls and decorating the ceiling of the main room as you first enter.

El Camino College Trustee Kenneth Brown talks with two of the student leaders who worked to create El Camino College&squot;s new social justice center, Matt Schulz (left) and Kitzia Lopez. “This is a very unique place," Brown said to the crowd that gathered for the center&squot;s opening on September 28 in Torrance, Calif. “Let’s not make this a one-time thing. After today, please come and visit, please come and contribute, please come and volunteer.” (Kim McGill | The Union)
El Camino Trustee Kenneth Brown (left) talks with two of the student leaders who worked to create the new social justice center, Matt Schulz (middle) and Kitzia Lopez (right) on Wednesday, Sept. 28. “This is a very unique place,” Brown said to the crowd, “Let’s not make this a one-time thing. After today, please come and visit, please come and contribute, please come and volunteer.” (Kim McGill | The Union)

“It’s difficult. We have endless backgrounds, endless stories here at El Camino, but it seems we all get caught up in our academics, our jobs.” Kitzia Lopez said to the crowd. “Here at the center, we aim to make community happen.”

Lopez was a member of the Student Equity Advisory Council (SEAC) when the proposal was developed. She said that she wants to implement a “home away from home” feeling by encouraging people to collaborate together on campus.

“This is what student voice and student agency looks like manifested,” President Brenda Thames said.

The El Camino president was just one of the numerous administrators that spoke at the event.

“Everybody wants to feel welcomed. Everybody wants to feel respected. Everybody wants to belong. And that’s what social justice is, the opportunity to belong, to be respected, to be welcomed into El Camino College and the South Bay,” Vice President of Student Services Ross Miyashiro told the crowd.

Vice President of Student Services Ross Miyashiro handed out tee shirts to people who attended the opening of El Camino College's new social justice center on Sept. 28 in Torrance, Calf.
Vice President of Student Services Ross Miyashiro handing out t-shirts to people attending the opening of the new Social Justice Center on Sept. 28. “That’s what social justice is about – more egalitarian and less hierarchy,” Miyashiro said. (Kim McGill | The Union)

“This is a very unique place,” Trustee Kenneth Brown said. “Let’s not make this a one-time thing. After today, please come and visit, please come and contribute, please come and volunteer.”

The Social Justice Center is open on Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The college community can follow the center on Instagram for updates on events and activities.

Editor’s Notes:

• Story updated for name correction on Sept. 29, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
  • Corrected name on featured caption image on Oct. 3, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.