Laid back pitcher is a force on the mound

Sebastian Sanchez, 24, undecided freshman pitcher warms up every Tuesday that gives him the winning edge with a 9-2 record. Photo credit: Jorge Villa

Growing up with five brothers who played baseball and a sister who played softball, Sebastian Sanchez was always around baseball.

When he was just three years old, Sanchez started playing and doesn’t plan to stop anytime soon.

Last Thursday, the 6-foot-1 175 pound right-hander made his last regular-season start for El Camino’s baseball team, going on the road against Long Beach City College and picking up his team-leading ninth win of the season.

“It’s been one of the best seasons that I’ve had individually,” Sanchez said. “It’s been a lot of fun.”

Freshman catcher Connor Underwood said Sanchez is one of the most interesting teammates he’s ever been around.

“He’s a very laid back and funny guy to be around off of the field and at practice,” Underwood said. “But in the games he’s very competitive and wants to do his very best every time he steps on the mound.”

Growing up, Sanchez rooted for the Chicago Cubs because they were an underdog team to him and he idolized hall-of-fame pitcher Greg Maddox.

Sanchez runs two miles the day before a start but he also likes to stay relaxed before he takes the mound.

“I eat a good breakfast on game day, I usually have a fruit shake, three eggs and some toast,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez attended Bellflower High School where he pitched and played outfield for the baseball team.

“Sometimes I miss playing everyday (as an outfielder), but pitching is my favorite so I decided to take that more serious,” Sanchez said. “I was good, but I was a way different pitcher than I am right now though.”

The pitcher he is today is standing at a 9-2 record with a 2.71 ERA heading into the playoffs and is lined up to start game one of the first round for El Camino on Friday at Cypress College.

“When he cares about something he becomes extremely passionate,” coach Nick Jones said.

And pitching seems to be something he cares about, because after El Camino, Sanchez hopes to get a scholarship at a four-year school and is willing to go anywhere that will get him some playing time.

“Winning is my favorite part about pitching,” Sanchez said. “It’s just so fun competing every inning.”

• Laid back pitcher is a force on the mound

Sports

Up next for track and field: South Coast Conference Finals

News

Two vehicles collide next to Parking Lot B; car crashes into construction fence

Athlete of the Week

Athlete of the Week: Jean Liu

Profiles

El Camino tennis player continues to compete despite illness and injuries

Softball

El Camino softball team earns second conference title in three years

News

El Camino is a skate and bike-free zone

Badminton

El Camino women’s badminton team beat El Camino-Compton Center to sweep the season series

Softball

Strong middle innings help El Camino softball team win 19th straight

Baseball

El Camino baseball team has won 20 consecutive games after win over L.A. Harbor College

Softball

El Camino softball team beat Rio Hondo College to extend its winning streak to 17 games