ECC women’s soccer falls 3-0 to Fullerton College

The ECC women’s soccer team (0-3) drops it’s third straight game in a 3-0 loss to the Fullerton College Hornets (3-0) on Friday.

The ECC Warriors’ offensive struggles continued early on in the match as they have yet to gain any points on the scoreboard this season.

Fullerton College came out in attack mode at the beginning of the game putting up 11 shots compared to ECC’s two shots in the first half.

“[Offensively] we’ve been struggling all year,” Assistant coach Darin Dunn said. “We’ve had a tough time creating chances for each other. It’s something that we are going to have to really focus on before we really get going into the season.”

Solid defending from the ECC Warriors’ backfield and goalkeeper Kelly Gallagher kept it a scoreless game after the first 45 minutes of regulation. Gallagher finished the match with a season-high 13 saves in goal for ECC.

“The first half [defensively] was our best that we have played so far this year,” Dunn said. “Our covering was very well and for the most part we were able to limit a lot of their big chances that they had.”

The ECC Warriors began the second half aggressive on offense, dominating possession early but the Hornets’ transition defense proved to be too much for ECC to overcome.

Fullerton opened up the scoring in the 52nd minute of the second half with a goal from forward Jacqueline Ramirez. Hornets’ defender Kaelah Basurto added to the lead with a penalty kick in the 72nd minute.

Hornets’ forward Rocio Martinez-Marquina capped off the scoring with a laser to the top of the net in the 86th minute.

“I think we struggled a little bit [early on] but in the second half we settled down and started playing our style of soccer,” Fullerton College head coach Pat Lewin said. “Our spacing got better and we were more disciplined, which resulted in scoring for us.”

The ECC Warriors added two shots in the second half of play resulting in a total of four shots (three shots on goal) to Fullerton’s 30 shots (16 shots on goal) for the game.

Fullerton defender Kaelah Basurto led all players with seven shots (five shots on goal). ECC forwards Melisia Medina and Monica Bernardino put up one shot each. Defenders Alexandria Katsouridis and Joelle Niimi also tallied one shot each for the home team.

“We put in a good effort throughout the game,” ECC Warriors’ midfielder Isabel Alba said. “Our [mindset] started to change as they scored on us so I feel we need to be stronger mentally. We need to improve on our team chemistry and learn to work for each other.”

ECC will look to earn its first win of the season on the road at San Diego Miramar College (0-2) on Tuesday, Sept. 10 at 3 p.m.