El Camino women’s soccer team ends game in a scoreless draw versus Long Beach City College

El Camino defender Miranda Ramirez (No.7) steals the ball from Long Beach City College defender Aubree Furman Tuesday, Nov. 1, at Murdock Stadium. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

A back-and-fourth battle between El Camino and Long Beach City College ended in a 0-0 tie Tuesday at Murdock Stadium.

Despite a strong shooting performance from both teams, neither one was able to net the ball and come out victorious.

Sophomore midfielder Miranda Ramirez said overall, the Warriors played a solid game.

“Everything that we did was perfect,” Ramirez said. “Just the scoring, we could not finish our shots.”

The Warriors controlled the ball for the majority of the game and dominated play after play. They outshot the Vikings with a total of nine attempts at the goal.

The knee injury to leading goal scorer and team captain Kalyn Kaemerle was a huge loss to the Warriors’ offense. Kaemerle was injured in last week’s win at home against Pasadena City College.

vslbc4
Warriors forward Jodie Brennan, (No.17) battles for possession on the line against Long Beach City College Tuesday, Nov. 1, at Murdock Stadium. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

Freshman forward Kayla Sanchez said she thinks the injury to Kaemerle is a huge loss to the team as they try to earn a playoff spot.

“With Kalyn playing on top with me, we are dangerous, so we are missing her on shooting opportunities,” Sanchez said. “We need to take more shots, move the ball a bit more and work on our communication a bit more.”

Another loss to the Warriors’ squad was freshman defender Tiffany Azad, who has been out due to a bruised knee, is hoping to come back on the field within the next two weeks.

vslbc1
El Camino forward Jodie Brennan (No.17) dribbles down field against Long Beach City College Tuesday, Nov. 1, at Murdock Stadium. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

Assistant coach Jessica Murphy said unfortunately injuries have hit the team late into the season. The offense in the second half started out good, but started to die out.

“In the past week we have lost Kalyn, Tiffany, and Erica,” Murphy said. “We also have some who are playing through injuries like Kayla (hamstring). It makes it tough because for the whole 90 minutes they have to grind it out.”

For the Warriors, the next game is a must win in order to remain playoff contenders, Murphy said.

The Warriors will play away against L.A. Harbor College on Friday at 4 p.m. In their last encounter, the Warriors came out victorious with a 2-1 shutout at home.