El Camino football team prepares for conference play

El Camino sophomore wide receiver Zaire Andre is hit as he attempts to catch the ball against Saddleback College on Sept. 24 at Murdock Stadium. Photo credit: Jacquelyn Romano

The El Camino College football team head into conference play with a 2-3 record under first-year coach Gifford Lindheim.

Offensively, the Warriors are led by sophomore quarterback David Sills who is a West Virginia bounce back.

Through five games, Sills has completed 73 of 129 passes for 950 yards and 11 touchdowns with four interceptions. Sills has contributed with his legs as well, rushing for 186 yards while adding four touchdowns.

“I think we are starting to gel as a team,” Sills said. “We need to eliminate more mistakes. I need to get better at what I’m doing and trust the coaches.”

The receiving corps had to overcome the departures of starters William Moorehand (transfer) and Stevie Williams who was declared ineligible before the season.

Sophomore wide receiver Andre Zaire, an Inglewood High product, has filled in with 16 receptions for 170 yards and two touchdowns.

Sophomore tight end Erik Henneman, who followed Lindheim to El Camino from Santa Monica College, is not far behind with 15 receptions for 227 yards and four touchdowns.

“We are getting better and are starting to click as a team,” Andre said. “We are not at our potential yet, but every week we are improving.”

The offense is averaging 412 yards a game, however, the defense is allowing a whopping 443 yards a game to opponents.

In the loss to Bakersfield on Oct. 1, the Warriors scored a potential game-winning touchdown with 34 seconds remaining in the game but the defense gave up a 46-yard reception, which set up the Renegades to score from two yards out for the win.

“We have to continue to be consistent and persistent in our process,” Lindheim said. “We are not going to change the offense for the defense. We have to execute better.”

On defense, the Warriors are led by sophomore linebacker Deadre Brewer who has 28 total tackles on the season. Freshman defensive lineman Edgar Juarez has tallied 19 total tackles while adding two sacks.

The injury bug has hit the defense as last seasons sack leader Ray Lima has yet to see the field this season. The sophomore defensive lineman recorded 59 tackles and seven sacks last season but Lindheim refuses to make excuses.

“We are a team defense,” Lindheim said. “When one guy isn’t ready, the next guy has to step up and make plays. We teach them all how to play the game.”

After a much needed bye week, the Warriors will look to snap a three-game losing streak when they travel to L.A. Harbor College for the conference opener on Saturday.