Beach volleyball team remains perfect after sweeps over Rio Hondo and Antelope Valley

The energy was fierce and the supporters for the El Camino beach volleyball team were in full spirit. After the visiting Rio Hondo College Roadrunners finished their match against the Antelope Valley College Marauders, the Warriors made quick work of the opposing team.

Set win after set win, the Warriors did not lose a single one on the day and ended both matches 5-0 and 5-0.

El Camino beach volleyball (7-0 overall, 3-0 in the Western State Conference) dominated the competition on Friday.

“I feel like that’s a great start to the season,” EC coach Le Valley Pattison said. “I think we have a good deep five (pairs) and that makes such a big difference, to see if we can sustain and what kind of damage we can do.”

In the match vs. Golden West, the only pairs to lose were the No. 3 pair of Brooke Russell, sophomore, and Taylor Brydon, freshman, and the No. 1 pair of sophomores Laynie Thompson and Sadie Fraker.

But today, both teams bounced back with resounding sweeps over their Rio Hondo and Antelope Valley counter-parts.

“We came out strong for both of our games,” Fraker said. “We played together and it was really fun.”

Thompson felt like her and Fraker didn’t get frustrated with each other at all in today’s matches.

“We focused,” she said. “We didn’t worry about (too much). We knew how we could play and the potential we had, but we really brought it to them.”

Russell said she and her partner were more focused and prepared for the matches today, compared to the Golden West loss.

“I’m really happy about (the undefeated record),” she added. “I can’t wait to improve more.”

The Warriors will host the Orange Coast College Pirates in the rescheduled match on Wednesday, March 23; match begins at 1 p.m.

“Super early in conference,” Pattison said. “(It’s too early to tell, but) in another couple of weeks I think we’ll know (the strengths of other teams).”

For a match and set scores for both games, click here.