Softball team clinches ninth win out of ten and lead the conference standings

It was 70 degrees and sunny as the EC Warriors and the Cerritos College Huskies battled it out in their second match up of the season.

The Warriors defeated Cerritos 5-4 in seven innings.

EC took the lead early and scored three runs in the first inning. Cerritos came back and slowly chipped away at the lead. In the fifth inning, the Huskies scored their first run rallying the team.

“I think we came out from the first pitch and attacked really well and we all just got on it and focused during the whole game,” first baseman Jacqueline Gonzales said.

Sophomore center fielder Kirsten Romero stole two bases and advanced the Warriors to take the lead. Sophomore third baseman Danielle Bonsky and sophomore Marissa Padilla had one RBI and Trejo had three RBIs.

“I felt like we just needed make the plays and get the outs to take away their momentum,” Gonzales said.

The Huskies rallied back and tied the game 4-4 in the sixth inning game when they scored two runs. EC fought back not giving into the pitcher and they battled hard in the box to get hits.

“We didn’t get the base hits but those battles in the box really make the later hits come because they show everyone else how to compete,” coach Jessica Rapoza said.

The Warriors broke the tie in the seventh inning when sophomore pitcher Reina Trejo came up to the plate. Trejo singled to center field and sophomore catcher Gabby Fordiani advanced to second. Sophomore shortstop Tori Garcia then scored and won the game for the Warriors.

Trejo said her mindset going into the inning was to score that one run to end the game.

The win came off a 10-2 win over East L.A. College on Tuesday and EC is now 10-1 in their conference. The Warriors’ next game is at home on March 24 against Long Beach City College at 3 p.m.

“We go into every game relaxed so I think if we don’t get to hyped up, we stay how we’ve been staying, then were going to be good,” Trejo said.