Track and field team prepares for SoCal regionals

Teddy Kassa placed first in the 10000-meter run and 3000-meter steeplechase on April 25 at Cerritos College. Warriors Track and Field will travel back to Cerritos College on May 1 for the So. Cal Championship Prelims. Photo credit: Jorge Villa

The Warriors visited Cerritos College this Saturday for the South Coast Conference (SCC) finals as multiple titles were awarded that night, according to Direct Athletics results for men and women‘s track.

El Camino finished an overall third in the SCC finals and the competition is expected to be tighter as regional finals and state finals are only a couple weeks away.

Sophomore Will Ingram turned heads as he is now the conference champion in men’s high jump while placing second in long jump, sixth in triple jump and helping the 4×400 meter relay team place first.

“I felt good at conference finals. I just need to stay consistent at SoCal regionals and state,” Ingram said.

Another conference final champion that shows no signs of slowing down is sophomore Teddy Kassa. He placed first in the 10000-meter run and 3000-meter steeplechase.

Kassa also placed third in the men’s 5000-meter run with teammate sophomore Michael Nakahara placing fourth right behind Kassa and third in the 10000-meter run.

Sophomore Daniel York-Mouton ran hard as he placed fourth in the men’s 200-meter dash and second in the 400-meter dash.

Sophomore Chris Graham placed fourth in the 110-meter hurdles and also earned his ticket to the SoCal regionals.

The men’s 4×100 team also qualified for regionals placing fourth this past Saturday.

Sophomore Chris Rasmussen placed third in high jump and fourth in long jump.

Freshman Kevin Heinemann just made the cut by placing sixth in men’s javelin.

Sophomore Khalil Flemister was excited with his third-place finish in the triple jump and can now focus on state.

“My goal is just to get better every meet and make it to state,” Flemister said.

Both women’s 4×100 and 4×400 qualified for regionals with second and third place finishes.

Freshman Xiomara Perkins placed fourth in the women’s 400-meter dash.

Sophomore Hailey Heinemann placed second in the 3000-meter steeplechase and finished sixth in the 5000-meter run.

Freshmen Passionae Martin placed second in the 400-meter hurdles. Freshman Sara Curran placed second and freshmen Cambria Serrano made the cut by placing sixth in women’s javelin.

Freshman Jackie Rodriguez qualified in the women’s 10000 meter regionals by placing sixth. After an injury-riddled season at the beginning of the year, Rodriguez is excited to make regionals.

“I was pretty excited about making it especially since I was injured early in the season. Now I just want to qualify for state,’ Rodriguez said.

The Warriors are now two meets away from the state championships and the pressure is rising.

EC travel back to Cerritos College May 1 and May 2 to secure spots in the SoCal regional prelims to qualify for regional finals.