ECC women’s soccer team beats Los Angeles Harbor College

El Camino College women’s soccer player Jessica Varela attempts to gain possession of the ball during the game against Los Angeles Harbor College on Friday Nov. 8 at the ECC Soccer Field. The Warriors won 2-1. Mari Inagaki/The Union

The El Camino College women’s soccer team win its second to last home game of the season after they beat Los Angeles Harbor College 2-1 on Friday, Nov. 8, at the ECC Soccer Field.

Warriors’ assistant coach Darin Dunn said during its last game L.A. Harbor held a formation that allowed its three midfielders to outrun the Warriors.

“So [we] had a game plan going into today that we were switching up our formation from the last time we played them,” Dunn said. “And we had it designed to where we are going to outnumber them in that middle three.”

The Warriors will return to the action on Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 2 p.m. as they travel to play against Long Beach City College.

The Warriors (4-11-4) opened up the scoring in the 31st-minute goal by freshman forward Melisia Medina. Medina struck again one more goal in the 55th-minute for her second goal of the game.

Warriors’ sophomore midfielder Carolyn Medina said that Warriors’ goalkeeper Kelly Gallagher made five big saves in the second half of the game to help secure the victory.

“Kelly’s save was amazing,” Medina said. “We played really strong and we held it down for the whole half.”

In the 76th minute of the game, the Warriors were whistled for a foul inside the box, awarding a penalty kick to Seahawks’ Catherin Corea but the shot was denied by Gallagher.

However, in the last minutes of the game Seahawks’ Crystal Marquez responded to the Warriors with a goal in the 90th-minute to push the score to 2-1.

“Both teams trying to obviously win the game and on our side unfortunately we lost but that’s soccer,” L.A. Harbor’s head coach Art Caballero said. “Our girls put in really good effort so that’s all we can ask for.”

Dunn said that the Warriors struggled this season but he hopes that during the next two games the Warriors will finish on a high note.

“We’ve kind of started to find our feet the last couple of games here,” Dunn said. “So we’ve [got] two out of two ends in the three games, which is nice.”

Next Game:

Who: El Camino College Warriors vs Long Beach City College Vikings

When: Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 2 p.m.

Where: Veteran’s Stadium, Long Beach City College

Address: 5000 E Lew Davis St, Long Beach, CA 90808

For a map of the Long Beach City College’s campus, click here.