Rio Hondo College dominates second half in win over ECC women’s basketball team

Coming off its first win of the season against Citrus College, the El Camino College women’s basketball team could not continue the momentum as they lost to Rio Hondo College Wednesday, Nov. 20 in the ECC North Gymnasium.

“These games are a bit more difficult since they are closer to finals coming around,” Roadrunners coach Rene Herrera said. “Our girls had class today but hopefully we’ll still be well prepared.”

At the half, Rio Hondo led 29-25 and the Roadrunners did not led up. They extended their lead over ECC to 20 with 2:40 left in the third quarter as they went on to win 74-55.

“[We can]not give up because not all games will be perfect,” Roadrunners guard Amanda Lee said.

Lee led the way for Rio Hondo with 24 points on shooting 9-of-14 from the field with seven assists, six steals and five rebounds.

Roadrunners Sally Smith, Amy Navarro and Donteylor Maxwell all contributed with 11 points each.

The Warriors compiled 27 turnovers that led to 35 points for Rio Hondo.

“At this point we’re trying to work on everything and keep getting better on everything,” Warriors coach Steve Shaw said. “Our main focus is to get to the conference championship.”

ECC (1-3) will host Irvine Valley College (6-0) on Friday, Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. at the ECC North Gym.

“I wasn’t expecting the way they played,” Warriors guard Alexia Mason said. “We have to think a bit quicker than we usually need to and we messed that up.”

Mason led the Warriors in scoring with 16 points and eight rebounds. Warriors guard Ashley Nguyen added 14 points, eight assists and six rebounds.

“After beating them last year, I thought we knew what we had to do,” Nguyen said. “But this year we both had new teams [so] it was a bit of a challenge.”