Men’s basketball record an injust and a blowout against Pasadena City College

EC Warriors guard, Kyle Baba, suffers a right leg injury in the dying seconds of the game on a layup attempt, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men’s basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

With a couple of seconds left in the game, El Camino College guard, Kyle Baba, aggressively dribbled into the paint.

He knew that his team was in the bonus so he looked for contact in hopes of drawing a foul.

As he jumped up for a layup, he was met by multiple players from Pasadena City College who were ready to defend their basket.

ECmnsbasketball (1 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Kyle Baba, scores on a reverse layup with a Pasadena defender attempting to block the shot from behind, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

Baba was blocked and fell harshly to the ground.

He grabbed his right ankle immediately and had a look of pain that sent shivers across the gym.

The crowd cheered in support when he got up with the help of El Camino College staff and he was guided to the sidelines as he hobbled on one leg.

ECmnsbasketball (7 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Justin Chambers, secures the ball for his team, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

“I had ankle problems in the past, like last year, but I feel like this one is the worst,” Baba said.

Baba didn’t play much in the previous game but he proved himself to EC head coach Robert Uphoff during practice.

“He was a big lift off the bench,” Uphoff said. “I mean, it’s disappointing for our team, but I could really feel his pain too.”

ECmnsbasketball (14 of 16).jpg
TORRANCE, CALIF.- NOV. 9, 2018.
EC Warriors guard, Sean Goudeau, continues to drive to the rim looking for a scoring opportunity, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball match held at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018.
(Darwyn Samayoa/ECC Union) Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

Baba suffered his ankle injury with 6.4 seconds left on the game clock.

“For him to go down that late in the game especially is really frustrating,” Uphoff said. “We’re hoping and praying for the best.”

This wasn’t the only bad news for EC that night as they lost in a blowout, 90-63, to Pasadena City College on Friday.

ECmnsbasketball (5 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Richard Wilson, drives past two defenders to score a layup on a fast break during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

EC struggled from the start as they fell behind early in the first quarter, 22-11.

EC guard, Justin Chambers, scored a three-point play after getting fouled on a made shot which started a 10-0 run for the Warriors.

Shots started falling for EC after being motivated by good defense and communication, Uphoff said.

ECmnsbasketball (6 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Justin Chambers, drives through two defenders on an attempt to reach the basket, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

Pasadena guard, Josiah Woods, received a technical foul after yelling “that’s some bullshit,” to a referee at the end of the first quarter.

The period ended with the score 36-36.

Uphoff said the first quarter was a “dogfight.”

ECmnsbasketball (3 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, David Avila, goes up for the offensive rebound to regain possession, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

“They answered the bell and brought it,” Uphoff said.

The second quarter started with two technical free throws for EC, but Pasadena City College answered back with an 18-point run.

PCC began the second quarter more focused defensively and their players started to switch beneath the picks, PCC assistant coach, Jesse Ellis said.

ECmnsbasketball (15 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Oshiua Alston, dribbles around a Pasadena defender, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

“They really done a good job on the second half,” Ellis said. “I was proud of them.”

Frustration started to show from the EC bench after disagreeing with multiple calls made by the officials.

Uphoff received a technical foul after complaining about a call.

ECmnsbasketball (8 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Jamal Howard, dives for a loose ball in the offensive zone, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

“They were frustrated with me hounding them,” Uphoff said. “I didn’t think they were doing a really good job.”

The team felt that the officiating wasn’t going their way and were discouraged by it.

“We got to be tougher mentally and physically to battle through that,” Uphoff said.

ECmnsbasketball (10 of 16).jpg
TORRANCE, CALIF.- NOV. 9, 2018.
EC Warriors guard, David Avila, shoots free throws, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball match held at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018.

As PCC grew their lead, the EC fans in attendance showed their frustration as well.

Someone in the crowd said, “Hey number three, you suck.”

“No I don’t,” PCC guard Khristion Courseault answered.

ECmnsbasketball (11 of 16).jpg
EC Warriors guard, Darius Alexander, fakes a layup and swings the ball back out to an open teammate, during the EC Warriors vs Pasadena City College men's basketball game at El Camino on Friday, Nov. 9. Photo credit: Darwyn Samayoa

The Warriors finished the game with a 27-point deficit as they fell 90-63, to the Pasadena City College Lancers, and will look to redeem themselves on Wednesday, Nov. 14, on the road against Palomar College.

Tip off is at 6 p.m.