Three keys to the No. 6 women’s volleyball team’s second-round playoff match vs. No. 14 Irvine Valley College on Saturday

The No. 6 El Camino women’s volleyball team will host No. 14 Irvine Valley College on Saturday at 6 p.m. in the South Gym.

Here are three keys to this Saturday’s match-up:

1) The Warriors are coming off of a win against No. 11 Bakersfield College, in which the EC improved to 22-3 on the season (and 22-0 against lower ranked opponents).

Although BC failed to break the streak, the Renegades were 0-6 and now 0-7 against teams ranked higher than them.

The IVC Lasers are coming off of an intense five-set upset over the No. 3 Santa Barbara City College Vaqueros.

The Lasers’ record against teams ranked higher than them is 4-5 and they are coming off two-big wins over No. 4 Mira Costa College (wasn’t a playoff match, but the Spartans were upset by Moorpark) and SBCC.

They’ll be in line to make their record .500.

AP0A4407 copy.jpg
All smiles for the Warriors as they celebrate a point during Tuesday's first round of playoffs against the Bakersfield College Renegades. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

2) The match-up will feature two Top 50 attackers and both teams have four players with triple-digit kills this season.

El Camino has sophomore opposite hitter Taylor Brydon who ranks No. 27 in the state and Irvine Valley College has Taira Ka’awaloa who ranks No. 47 in the state.

Here’s what could be the difference, the amount each of the four players has comparatively:

• Brydon has 290 kills – Ka’awaloa has 243.
  • Freshman outside hitter Aiko Waters (just outside top 50) has 226 kills – IVCs Juju Cannon has 158.
  • Freshman outside hitter Jaylin Motley has 182 kills – IVCs Lucee Fitzgerald has 155.
  • Sophomore middle blocker Micah Hammond has 141 kills – IVCs Kylie Miller has 107.
AP0A4028 copy.jpg
El Camino's sophomore opposite hitter Taylor Brydon splits the block to get a point against the Bakersfield College Renegades on Tuesday, Nov. 22.
The Warriors beat the Renegades 3-1 to advance to the second round of playoffs. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

3) Irvine Valley may have some pep in its step when it comes to town, but on paper, the Lasers are No. 37 in the state for offense.

El Camino is No. 8 in the state for total blocks and No. 41 in the state for total digs.

Speaking strictly about stats and how the team’s look on paper, El Camino who stopped the No. 8 offense in the state should be in line to dominate.

Unfortunately for the Warriors, IVC just beat SBCC and they were No. 4 in the state for total blocks and No. 11 for total digs.