El Camino men’s basketball team brings new style of play to upcoming season

A men’s basketball player works on free throws before a recent scrimmage in the North gym at El Camino. Photo credit: Eric Ramos

After a 5-win season in 2015-16, the El Camino men’s basketball team should be rather exciting to watch, playing up-tempo, trying to out-run opponents and taking advantage of early scoring opportunities.

Coach Robert Uphoff said he expects his only returners, sophomores Brandon Guerrero and Gavin Reagan, to provide much needed leadership both on and off the court.

“We don’t have anyone who will jump out at you, but I do feel we have more depth, toughness and cohesiveness than any team I’ve coached here at El Camino,” Uphoff said. “We have drastically changed our style of play from years past.”

Freshman newcomers, guards Jamal Heckard, Tarron Wiley and Brandon Harris, will fill important roles in the back court, while Che Madrid, Keywhon Powns and Davon Northcutt will provide much needed depth and versatility in the front court.

Madrid said the Warriors are very excited and eager to start the season. The team has been putting in a lot of work on and off the court.

“We have a lot of new guys, but with the returners leadership, it gives us a solid group,” Madrid said. “We are ready to compete and feel confident we can show what our team is capable of producing on the court.”

Uphoff said one major concern moving into the season is rebounding on both ends of the floor.

“We will need to be both physical and active on the glass,” Uphoff said. “We lack the size, from years past.”

The Warriors are very fortunate, in that they open the upcoming season with six consecutive home games in the North gym.

Madrid said they want to capitalize on that and start off the season strong, defending the home court.

“We know it will be a long season,” Madrid said. “We need to mentally prepare, game by game, and execute what we have been practicing.”

Assistant coach Keith Crenshaw said the mindset is to fully commit to the new style of play and just wear teams down with the idea being the Warriors will be in better shape and have a deeper team than their opponents.

“Our style of play will also be exciting for the Warriors’ community and fans,” Crenshaw said. “But plan to see various players have big games for us this year.”

The Warriors open the 2016 season at home against Cypress College Friday.

“As I like to say, the table is set (for success), but we need to have an appetite ready to eat,” Uphoff said. “Although we have a very challenging schedule and conference, I am hopeful that we can gain some momentum at home and keep it rolling in the tournaments that follow.”