El Camino women’s volleyball team nets 12th sweep of the season

The El Camino women’s volleyball team (15-3 overall, 4-0 in conference) outlasted the Pasadena City College Lancers (11-7, 3-1) on Wednesday night and despite a dominating first set (25-12) the Warriors fell behind early in the second set; which forced them to tough it out against the Lancers and overcome the deficit.

El Camino eventually earned its 12th sweep of the season by beating Pasadena in straight sets (25-12, 26-24, 26-24).

“We didn’t play our best in the last two sets,” freshman setter Megan Lim said. “We all agreed that we could’ve definitely played better.”

The Warriors totaled 19 attacking errors in the second and third sets, compared to just two in the first; but the Lancers totaled 24 attacking errors over the three sets.

Hammond (eight kills) and the freshman outside hitters Aiko Waters (eight kills) and Jaylin Motley (nine kills) came out huge for the Warriors on a night where their best player struggled heavily on offense.

Sophomore opposite hitter Taylor Brydon had four kills and six errors on 22 attacks (-0.09 hitting percentage), although she made up for it with team high four block assists.

“It was frustrating at times, but we can only get better (going forward),” sophomore middle blocker Micah Hammond said.

Despite the struggles El Camino head coach Le Valley Pattison thought the team played OK and is looking to have a much more “warrior-like performance” against Rio Hondo on Friday at home.

“We had some passing struggles and poor setting choices which kept (Pasadena) in the match,” she said. “They let us off the hook numerous times with (their) hitting and serving errors.”