El Camino tight end joins protest

El Camino College tight end Erik Henneman gets down on one knee during the National Anthem on Oct.1 at Murdock Stadium. Photo credit: Eric Ramos

The protest which has caused controversy across the United States has hit the El Camino campus.

Sophomore tight end Erik Henneman, as a sign of protest, took a knee during the National Anthem before the Warriors’ football game against Bakersfield College on Oct.1.

“I was always taught to stand for something or you will fall for anything,” Henneman said. “To me it represents standing up for the police brutality against African Americans.”

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick made headlines when he sat during the National Anthem in their third preseason game.

Kaepernick addressed the media after the game and said he sat because of the “oppression of people of color and ongoing issues with police brutality.”

Henneman said he was a victim of police brutality in his hometown of New Orleans so he wants to bring awareness to his surroundings.

“As a leader of my team, I want to be the person that will stand up for what is right,” Henneman said.