El Camino College celebrated the grand opening of the new Athletic Complex and Murdock Stadium

President Dena Maloney is preparing to cut the ribbon, while the El Camino Board of Trustees looks on. From left to right: Dr. Virginia Pfiffner, Nicole Mardesich, El Camino Board of Trustees Student Member, El Camino President Dena Maloney, Mary E. Combs El Camino Board of Trustees Member, Kenneth Brown, El Camino Board of Trustees President, and John Vargas, Vice President of the Board of Trustees at El Camino. Photo credit: Marlena Keenan

South Bay leaders and members of the Murdock family joined the campus community in celebrating the grand opening of the new Athletic Complex and Murdock Stadium with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Thursday.

The $40 million Athletic Education and Fitness Complex replaces the old Murdock Stadium, which opened in 1958 and was named after the founding president of the college, Forrest G. Murdock according to the El Camino website.

Torrance Mayor Patrick J. Furey was on hand for the historic occasion, along with Lawndale Mayor Robert Pullen-Miles, Hawthorne Mayor Alex Vargas and Congresswoman Maxine Waters. The mayors congratulated El Camino and presented certificates to the board of trustees on behalf of the California State Assembly.

Trustee President Ken Brown said the new facility is a magnet. It’s not just about sports, it’s about the community who doesn’t play sports but wants to come out and watch a football game.

“It rivals any facility, not only in the state, but in the country,” Brown said. “I want the students who are not student athletes to be proud and witness a complex they helped build.”

Alumnus and family member Carol C. Murdock, 84, was in attendance for the opening of the original Murdock Stadium in 1958. The Redondo Beach native said she has mixed feelings but loves the new stadium.

“This facility is absolutely phenomenal,” Murdock said. “They should have the Olympics here. It has everything they need.”

The new stadium seats 8,000, has a synthetic turf field and a nine-lane running track. Hurdler Justin Alexander spoke to the crowd about being able to practice at El Camino.

“I was practicing at Compton College and it didn’t feel like home,” Alexander said, who recently competed in the World U20 Track and Field Championships in Poland. “We have nice wide turns here, I definitely feel connected to the track.”

The Warriors football team will open the 2016 season at the new stadium Saturday versus L.A. Southwest College at 1 p.m. Brown said the stadium will be used for various sporting events, in addition to hosting high school football games.

“It’s going to be around for a while,” Brown said. “In addition to football and soccer, track and cross country are going to practice here. Maybe we can get some field hockey and lacrosse. Sky’s the limit.”