Beach volleyball team beats Bakersfield; loses perfect season against Santa Barbara City College

Victoria Curtice attacks the ball against a Bakersfield College opponent during the No. 4 pairs match. Curtice and partner, Jessica Dow, beat BC 19-21, 21-15 and 15-8. Photo credit: Phil Sidavong

Even though the swirling winds of last Friday’s match may have been more difficult, the team was on foreign ground, and after plowing through its first opponent, the Warriors would fall at the hands of the Santa Barbara City College Vaqueros.

The Warriors (15-1, 6-0) were not too distraught by the loss heading into the postseason, and sophomores Laynie Thompson and Sadie Fraker were making jokes as they walked away from a loss.

Fraker expressed her discontent with one of her opponent’s today, but declined to go into detail.

“We had lack of ball control at times,” coach Le Valley Pattison said. “Our (No. 5 and No. 3) pairs played great, we just have to rally and get one other team, firing at the right time.”

El Camino will host the first and second round of individual playoffs beginning this Wednesday, and Pattison said that all five of the pairs have made it and are the No. 1 conference seed.

“It’s exciting that we’re No. 1 and we get to host,” Thompson said. “It’s been fun.”

Thompson and Fraker also get a bye-week in the first round.

“It’s nice,” Fraker said. “It feels good to be No. 1, I think we deserve a bye.”

The Warriors played against Bakersfield College right before the matches against Santa Barbara began and the Warriors swept through the Renegades in quick fashion.

Although the team lost today, the No. 5 pair of Brooklyn Rubio and Jewel Yandall are the final pair to not be defeated by any community college opponent for the Warriors.

“I think that’s perfect, because we’re ranked really high,” Yandall said. “In the beginning it was rough, but I’m happy that we’re the only team that’s left that’s undefeated. So I’m really grateful.”