Beach volleyball team adapts to rain; stays undefeated

Despite the rain fall, the El Camino beach volleyball team, took the opportunity to get a little bit of “redemption” against the L.A. Pierce College Brahmas, who knocked off the indoor volleyball team out of playoffs a semester ago.

“It feels pretty good (to beat them),” sophomore Jewel Yandall said. “They were like a three (out of 10) and it was tough because every time I looked up, like four rain drops would fall in my eye, but it was fun.”

The rain was a different factor for the Warriors, but all the team had to do was focus on playing, rather than the rain, sophomore Brooke Russell said.

The focus was definitely there for the Warriors as the team completed the 5-0 sweep against the Brahmas to stay undefeated at 12-0, with only the No. 2 pairs match going three-full sets.

“I’m super stoked about being undefeated,” Russell said. “Everyone is doing so well and we’re continuing to get better.”

The win puts the Warriors at 6-0 in the Western State Conference and they will play only one more conference match vs. Bakersfield, along with two matches; at Santa Barbara City College and one vs. Fullerton College.

This means El Camino is the automatic No. 1 seed from the WSC going into the playoffs and will play the No. 2 seed from the Orange Empire and No. 3 seed from the Pacific Coast conferences in the first round, assistant coach Liz Hazell said.

With the team never knowing what the conditions could be on any given day, the rain today, was a lot of fun, as several of the women said.

“It gave us new elements to adapt to,” sophomore Laynie Thompson said. “Today’s wins felt great.”

For more information on the team’s schedule, click here.