Women’s volleyball reviews season and talks playoffs

El Camino women’s volleyball celebrates the win against the Cerritos College Falcons on Wednesday, Nov. 18. The Warriors ended the season undefeated in the South Coast Conference and will host the first round of playoffs on Tuesday, Nov. 24. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

El Camino women’s volleyball (24-2 overall, 14-0 in the South Coast Conference) will host the first round of Southern California Regional playoffs Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the South Gym, EC coach Le Valley Pattison said.

The women in blue and white took care of business in the conference and Pattison said this is a good year for the team to win the state championship.

“I think the championship is anybody’s to win,” she said. “I don’t think there’s a real dominant team in the state this year (compared to recent years).”

Sophomore outside hitter and co-captain Nickeisha Williams agreed with Pattison, but said that it may have been an easy road to the play-offs.

“Our conference isn’t as strong (as others),” she said. “There’s a high chance of us winning the championship, but now we have to start from here and (win it).”

Williams is the team’s leader in kills and ranks at No. 29 in the state with 269 overall kills.

Sophomore libero and co-captain Brooke Russell led all team members with 4.23 digs per set and 330 overall digs, putting her at No. 33 and No. 34 in the state, respectively.

“(Williams) and I stepped up to our roles (as captains and offensive/defensive leaders),” Russell said. “I feel really good about going forward, I’m happy with the work we’ve done (as a team). I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m hoping we can win it all.”

Freshman setter Nina Wyer, who has been battling for her spot all season, ends the season with 499 total assists, just spotting her in the top 50 at No. 46. Wyer had nothing but praise for her teammates.

“It’s so awesome,” she said. “This is the best group of girls I’ve ever played with and it has been the (most fun) season ever. If we keep it up like this, I think we’ll win for sure.”

The Golden West College import, sophomore middle blocker Jewel Yandall, leads the team in total blocks with 42 and is fourth for team kills with 172. She said that it feels really good to win and go to playoffs.

“It’s like all our hard work paid off and it doesn’t go unnoticed,” Yandall said.