Women’s volleyball crushes Pasadena City College in continuation of rescheduled match

Sophomore libero Brooke Russell digs the ball during a home game against Pasadena City College. The Warriors defeated the Lancers with a 3-1 win on Tuesday, Oct. 27. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Only half of the crowd returned to Tuesday’s women’s volleyball game after a power outage forced the Oct. 9 match against Pasadena City College to be rescheduled.

The Warriors led by only one point in the fourth set when sophomore outside hitter Kezia Boyer came up to serve.

She threw up the ball and quickly put the opposing defense into disarray. Her teammates helped her out by cleaning up the kill and making it 15-13 for El Camino.

With Boyer back to serve, she threw up a big one and hit it near the back of the court. As it flew off of a defender’s arm, the announcer said, “Service ace for Boyer.”

The EC women’s volleyball team (17-2 overall, 6-0 in the South Coast Conference) was unfazed by whatever the Pasadena City College Lancers (9-6 overall, 4-3 in the SCC) did to prepare for today.

After a power outage forced the Oct. 9 match to be rescheduled until tonight, the Warriors dominated the match to win 3-1 (22-25, 25-19 on Oct. 9, 25-7, 25-16) on Tuesday.

Sophomore libero Brooke Russell (34 overall digs) thought that Pasadena was better in the earlier matchup and that her team came out “on fire.”

“They weren’t as strong as last time,” she said. “But we came out with a lot of intensity, and we’re going to continue to get stronger. (I’m already) excited for playoffs.”

Freshman outside hitter/middle blocker Taylor Brydon thought that the power outage on Oct. 9 was “lame” and Tuesday she said the team had to come out ready to play.

“We did well (on the team’s execution),” she said. “I’m happy with how I played and I think we’ll be hyped for the game tomorrow.”

Going forward this week, women’s volleyball will visit East L.A. College at 6 p.m. Wednesday and host L.A. Trade Tech on Friday at 6 p.m. in the South Gym.

Coach Le Valley Pattison said that the team needs to stay energized but wants the players to “hopefully” do it themselves.

“They only played two games,” she said. “I doubt there will be much fatigue, but they need to keep the energy up. They’re college students, they should be able to do it themselves.”