Women’s basketball team starts the season with a friendly tournament game

Starting the season with a two-day tournament at Palomar College, the team showed its strengths and feel the pressure on the court.
“Playing against Orange Coast was easy. The team was working together to get our plays done,” Afolake Akingba, co-captain, said.
The team won, 51-47, against Orange Coast College and had a loss, 78-60, against Palomar College.
“Playing against the Palomar front court pressure was new to us since we haven’t played with that kind of pressure,” Akingba said.
Akingba said that Palomar College was getting most of its points from free throws, and even though the Warriors had a lot rebounds, they had great plays.
“I tried to help with the defense and offense boards,” Akingba said. “The referees were not agreeing with us.”
Akingba said that every time the Warriors were close to shooting the referees would call them out and not let them shoot.
“I’m looking forward to this season. By watching them play at this tournament I can tell where we are the strongest and areas that need work,” Steve Shaw, coach, said.
Shaw said the Warriors have potential and is confident in his team.
“In the Orange Coast game we were ahead and had control of that game from the start, with Palomar it was the opposite,” Shaw said.
Shaw said that in the second half of the Palomar College game the Warriors cut down to six points and had two chances to score more but did not manage to.
“The last part of the game was more intense and competitive than the first half,” Shaw said. “The team worked well together.”
Kelsey Ishigo, team captain, said that the game against Palomar put a lot of pressure against the Warriors.
“In the Palomar game I scored two points. I struggled with their defensive pressure,” Ishigo said.
Ishigo said that in the Orange Coast game she scored 11 points and she helped the team lead by scoring a three pointer but was unable to do the same against Palomar College.
“In the second half, I fell and hurt my elbow. I had to play the rest of the game with an arm brace that affected my shooting,” Ishigo added.
She said despite the loss the tournament was a chance to see what areas they need to improve on and knows she has a strong team.
“I’m excited for this season. I know we are going to do very well.”