Men’s basketball team is excited for new season

The  basketball team, is starting this new season with a new training regiment, a new team and a new determination, new coach Robert Uphoff said Thursday.

“To compete and win the conference title,” Uphoff said. “That’s something that hasn’t been done here since the, I think, mid-80s’, so being a new coach here that’s my goal.”

Uphoff said the Warriors have been on a workout routine involving heavy conditioning and working with the college’s personal strength conditioning coach Kim Jones, in order to meet the physical demands so that they can face the challenges this season presents.

“Our guys have been working at the gym anywhere from two to five hours a day after October 1 hit,” Uphoff said. “They’ve been doing beach workouts, two to three days a week sometimes, to help get their legs and body in condition and stuff like that as well.”

Joshua Wilson, point guard, 19, communications major, said that his main goal is leading his team to a conference title and to get a full-ride scholarship to a four-year university.

“My goal is to be a great leader,” Wilson said. “I want to lead the team in the best possible way that I can.”

Uphoff said that the Warriors’ biggest competition this season is Mt. San Antonio College because of its multiple Division 1 players and its strong previous season record.

The Warriors beat Mt. SAC last season seeded No. 15 while Mt. SAC was No. 2.

“We just want to, basically, make more plays than the other team does,” David Howard, guard, 19, kinesiology major, said. “We just want to stay focused and stay in the game.”

Uphoff said that the Warriors’ first game would serve as a good measurement of their abilities and as test of their preparation.

“We are going to find out a lot about ourselves on Friday night, so I’m looking forward to that,” Uphoff said.

The Warriors faced off against the Citrus College Owls on Nov. 9 and came out on top with an 87-85 win.

The Owls finished their last reason in the final four of the California Community College Athletic Association and started the game holding the slot for No.1 in Southern California and No.2 in the state, according to cccaasports.org.

“I feel that we are a pretty solid team,” Shawn Ray, center, 19, psychology major, said. “I feel that if we just play together and follow the game plan, we should be successful.”