Woman killed on campus

An El Camino Police car patrols the campus on Thursday, Oct. 12. (Ma. Gisela Ordenes | The Union)

A woman in her 60s was killed on El Camino College campus by an unhoused man with a sledgehammer, according to a report from KTLA.

The report said a woman was walking her dog by the Gymnasium Building around 7 a.m. on Dec. 24 when a man attacked her.

The report said the attacker fled shortly after the crime. A passerby spotted the woman unconscious and bleeding from her head.

The report said campus police identified the attacker from surveillance footage as Jeffery Davis, 40.

The police found Davis in a “neighboring county park,” because according to the police, they have had interactions with him before and knew where he would be residing, according to the report.

The woman unfortunately died the next day on Christmas. The official cause of death will be announced by the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner.

The Union tried to get more information from the El Camino College Police Department but all calls about the case are being referred to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Davis is currently in custody and the case still remains under investigation by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.

Davis has had at least nine prior felony and misdemeanor arrests, according to the Inmate Information Center of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.

More information will be released soon.