Bike thieves hit campus bike racks for quick fix

This year the El Camino Police Department has taken 26 theft reports for stolen bicycles and has arrested three people who were caught stealing bikes on campus.

“They’re convicted felons, they’re drug addicts, and that’s just from first-hand experience with the people that we’ve arrested here,” EC Police Sgt. Dal Toruno said. “They want to get it and they want to sell it.”

Since riding bikes on the inner part of campus is not allowed, most bike racks are on the outer perimeter of the campus.

The police department works with the Facilities Department when placing bike racks around campus. The police department tries to get the bike rack placed near security cameras, Toruno said.

“I ride my bike here almost everyday,”Ariana Rodriguez, 20, English major, “It kind of makes me nervous to think I could get out of class and my bike isn’t there.”

“I’ve had a bike stolen from me before, not here, but I’ve gotten into the habit of just taking off my front wheel so no one will try to take it,” Deshawn Thompson, 18, business major said.

There are multiple types of bike locks available to purchase. U-shaped locks and cable locks are popular with many bike riders and sell for as low as $10.

“The most important thing is don’t buy a $10 lock for a $800 bike,” Toruno said. “All these cable locks are useless, wire cutters and cable cutters can cut through them like butter.”

Many students ride bikes to school as their primary mode of transportation since many can’t afford cars or the high cost of gas in the area.

“It’s just sad that someone is low enough to take something that people rely on,” Aubrey Noble, 20, English major said. “The bus stop is kind of a long walk from my house. Without my bike it would take me at least 20 minutes get from the bus to school.”

How to properly lock your bike so it doesn’t get stolen.

• Lock your bike to the rack with one tire connected to the frame.
  • Choose a rack that is near a security camera and has high pedestrian traffic.
  • Record your bike’s serial number.
  • Have pictures of your bike saved so you can show the police in case it gets stolen.