Skateboarders and sponsors: flying high with Tyler Stouff

Tyler Stouff, 19, undecided looks at the rail right before he locks into a bluntslide at Rowley Skatepark. Stouff is a student at El Camino who is sponsored by Darkstar Skateboards, Wrecked Wheels, Flypaper Grip Tape and Vanguard Surf & Skate Shop. Sunday, Oct. 11. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Growing up in Downey, a young man found himself gravitating toward a passion for skateboarding, because of a present he received from a relative.

“I got my first skateboard on my sixth birthday,” Tyler Stouff, 19, undecided, said. “My uncle gave it to me as a gift and I’ve been skateboarding ever since.”

Stouff is an amateur but hopes to follow in the footsteps of his favorite skateboarders like Steven Drost, David Reyes and Ron Hawkins.

He is currently sponsored by Dark Star Skateboards and Vanguard Surf Skate; both companies send Stouff boards and wheels as part of the sponsorship.

“I wasn’t good at (other) sports, (but) when I started skateboarding, I got it (right away),” Stouff said. “It was something different and I was good at it.”