Tennis player makes his own path in life

Photo credit: Gilberto Castro

He started a new chapter of his life at the age of 17 by moving out and living on his own in Gardena.

To provide support for his family, El Camino freshman tennis player Chris Vergara realized he had to adapt to the independent life.

“I realized that my family couldn’t really support me like most families could so I had to take care of myself and support myself,” Vergara said. “I live out with my roommates, I pay for my gas, I pay for my car, I pay for my rent, and basically all the necessities.”

The 22-year-old’s biggest motivation is taking care of his family and himself. Vergara considers his brother and stepfather his mentors in life.

“My brother really stepped up because I never really had a father figure in my life,” Vergara said. “My brother has always been there for me.”

His family always pushed him to become better, and the love that his brother showed him made Vergara the man he is today.

Vergara said that his brother “made (him) climb higher, basically by showing (him) tough love in a way.”

His stepfather has always been more of a loving father that supported whatever he wanted to do, Vergara said.

“I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for his support,” Vergara said.

Lewis Kingman, 25, psychology major and Vice President of the Maharlika club on campus, is a friend of Vergara that has a lot in common with the tennis player.

Vergara is a person that “knows where he is going in life,” Kingman said. “(He) seems like the person that really has his goals set.”

Vergara’s plans for the future are strictly academic and he says he’s only focused on his career.

“I don’t see myself starting a family until I succeed on my own terms,” Vergara said.

Vergara’s lifetime goal is to travel the world, “living life without regrets and helping people along the way.” He is currently an administration of justice major but hopes to represent his country abroad in the future.

“I always tried to build my career on that foundation,” Vergara said about helping others. “That’s why I am working hard to become an ambassador.”

Steve VanKanegan is the coach of the men’s and women’s tennis teams, and Vergara considers him his favorite coach and teacher.

“(Vergara)
is very kind so he is very conscientious,” VanKanegan said. “He is
probably one of the most improved players on our team and he takes his
tennis very serious. He takes pride in what he does.”