NFL stars share their roots at EC

The Laced Facts Tour kicked off at EC last Saturday. The tour started off with current NFL players speaking to children in the Marsee Auditorium and a Football camp held at Carson High School on Sunday. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Laced Facts Tour came to EC last Saturday with some special guests that wanted to say a few words to the young athletes of the South Bay. Some of these guests included NFL players and former collegiate athletes that played in big time college programs like Louisville and UCLA.

A few key-note speakers were Packers’ defensive tackle Datone Jones, Jets’ running back Bilal Powell, Broncos’ linebacker Brandon Marshall, Bills’ wide receiver Robert Woods, and Vikings’ quarterback and NFL Rookie of the Year, Teddy Bridgewater.

The Laced Facts Tours is a movement started by former EC and Louisville Alum defensive back, Mike Evans.

“Laced Facts is a social media platform that connects professional athletes to their fans,” said Mike.

Through Laced Facts athletes get to tell their story to the fans of how they grew up with the struggles they overcame to get where they are today and to educate the young people about making the right choices on and off the field.

The Laced Facts Tour kicked off here at EC because Mike felt it “was the right place to be”.

The two-day event started off at Marsee Auditorium with a presentation from the athletes talking to the fans about their past experiences with a Q&A session after followed by a meet and greet.

With big names on the program came a big crowd as the doors opened by 1:00 p.m. to let the crowd slowly fill the sold-out event.

“Laced Facts is a great way for the fans to have hands on fun and experience with the athletes. I wish we had this when I was younger,” Datone Jones said.

The second day consisted of a football camp from 8:00 a.m. to noon at Carson High School with 27 NFL athletes coming out to train with kids from elementary school to high school.

Some of pros that came to speak and help out at the camps have a history with Evans as the majority of them played football with him at some point in his career. Evans has earned respect with these star-studded players on and off the field throughout his football career and even mentored some of these NFL players.

“I’ve known Mike since Pop Warner football and he was always a older role model to me,” said Robert Woods.

Mike had the chance to play in the NFL with the St. Louis Rams but says he declined to start Laced Facts and to spread his story with the rest of the young student athletes around the US with the help of his friends.

“My journey through life has led me to Laced Facts and kids need to hear this message and get an inside scoop to the athletes they look up to,” Evans said.

Every year the Laced Facts Tour gets stronger and this year is touring 20 cities.