Women’s tennis team stretches win streak to three with home win

The women’s tennis team got their first home win against Fullerton College (FC) on Thursday.

It has been over a week since EC lost their season-opener at home game against Irvine Valley College.

Warriors came in the game versus FC on a two-game winning streak with a chance to continue their winning streak to three straight.

The Warriors dominated the entire game versus FC. The team took over both, the singles and doubles.

“We dominated the doubles. Fullerton was no competition against us, It was kind of like, a prep for the singles,” sophomore, Donya Assef, from Palos Verdes High School said.

Assef dominated the doubles with her partner, sophomore Shenae Shampine. Assef also won her match in the singles 6-3, 7-5 against FC player.

Shampine played with confident in the the entire game which helped her team to dominate.

“I did fantastic. I was very confident and secure doing the match which helped me win the match,” sophomore Shampine, said.

Freshman, Jade Shugars won her tense match 6-3, 6-7. “It was pretty tense and I let it get to me ” Shugars said.

“I have to work mainly on my serve and I have to work on being relaxed during the match. I need to get into my comfort zone because when I get into it, I could execute the way I want to,” Shugars said.

Even though the team dominated the game players still feel like they have a lot to work on to become in order for them to become a better tennis player.

“In the singles I think I did well but, I still have a lot of work to do to become a better player,” Assef said.

The Warriors’ tennis coach agrees that the team did well but still have work to do.

“Today I like the way Serena Rowland played. She has been playing well lately, hustling, hitting strong, she is becoming mentally tough, She also won a tied break,” coach Steve Van Kanegan said.

The Warriors prepare themselves to win against Orange Coast, a team that beat EC after coming back from being down 3-0 in the singles to win 5-4 last year.

“For the next game we will be working on our doubles and consistency,” Van Kanegan said.

The Warriors will look to continue their win streak at home on Thursday Feb. 12 vs Orange Coast at 2 p.m.