Athlete of the week: Micah Hammond

El Camino sophomore middle blocker Micah Hammond has 46 kills and 15 total blocks over six matches. Photo credit: Phil Sidavong

Micah Lynn Hammond, 20, communications major, is one of the starting sophomore middle blockers for the El Camino women’s volleyball team. She transferred from California State University – East Bay, and was cleared to play on Sept. 14.

The North High alumnus had 11 kills and four total blocks to help propel the Warriors to a five-set victory over the Long Beach City College Vikings last Friday. She has 46 kills and 15 total blocks over six matches (she did not play vs. L.A. Trade Tech).

Hammond has been playing volleyball since she was 11 and enjoys every second of it. When she’s not on the court, she’s working at In-N-Out. A job, she said, she enjoys very much, especially because all of her coworkers are nice.

Question: What is your major and what do you want to do with it?

Answer: I’m a business major, but I’m changing it to be a communications major, because I want to be a high school counselor.

Q: Why is that a dream?

A: I just want to work with people and I want to help them reach their dreams, go to the college they want to go to. I feel like I care a lot for people and I feel like I could help people out.

Q: What do you enjoy doing when you’re not on the court/at work?

A: It’s kind of nerdy, but I like going to museums. (My favorites are) the Getty and Griffith Observatory.