Sophomore leads El Camino women’s volleyball team in reverse sweep over Cerritos College

Freshmen middle blockers Cheyanne Smith (10) and Micah Hammond (12) force Rocio Rojo-Perez to tip over the block during the El Camino women’s volleyball team’s win over the Cerritos College Falcons on Friday. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

When in doubt, feed the ball to your best player and let them do their magic.

El Camino head coach Le Valley Pattison continued to attempt the 6-2 offense, but gave it up and left sophomore opposite Taylor Brydon to do what she does best; take over the match.

Brydon came out with two kills and a block to give the visiting Warriors a 5-2 lead in the third set over the Cerritos College Falcons. Even though the women’s volleyball team trailed 0-2, she continued to convince everyone that this is her year.

The No. 10 ranked El Camino women’s volleyball team (9-3 overall, 1-0 in conference) escaped from the Cerritos College Falcons (5-6, 0-1) in a reverse sweep in the South Coast Conference – South conference opener on Friday.

“I think we realized that we needed to pick up (after losing 2-0),” Brydon said, who had a match-high 20 kills. “There’s no one to blame but ourselves for the first two (sets). I think it was just us coming up with more energy.”

Brydon.jpg
(Left) Sophomore opposite Taylor Brydon signals to the bench that everything is "OK" during the El Camino women's volleyball team's conference opening win vs. the Cerritos College Falcons on Friday. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Brydon, who currently ranks No. 5 in the state for kills with 156, has been a big focal point of the offense, but it can’t just revolve around one player. Sophomore setter Nina Wyer has been setting up the team for success.

Three other players hit double-digits during the game and all three are freshmen: outside hitters Jaylin Motley and Aiko Waters added 12 and 14 respectively, and middle blocker Micah Hammond had 11.

“I think we were overall playing better,” Wyer said, who had 48 assists and ranks No. 6 in the state with 381. “We need to come up from the beginning and play with more urgency.”

The Warriors will be on the road again next Friday in a conference match against the L.A. Harbor College Seahawks (2-10 overall) at 6 p.m.

21.jpg

“We need to demand a lot more as individuals,” Pattison said. “We need to have a little pride in what we do, but it took us a little while to get there tonight.”

Warriors had 67 total kills with 18 errors on 175 attempts, while the Falcons had 52 kills and 25 errors on 167 attempts including 16 attack errors in the fourth and fifth sets.

12.jpg