Women’s volleyball falls short of State Championships in sweep by Pierce

Brahmas outside hitter Tamia Files goes for the spike against Warriors freshman opposite hitter Taylor Brydon and sophomore middle blocker Jewel Yandall in round three of the playoffs on Tuesday, Dec. 1. The Warriors were swept by L.A. Pierce on the road in three sets, ending their playoff run. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

The first set was close; it could have gone either way but the home team edged out the visitors, 25-23.

The visiting Warriors women’s volleyball team came out looking to strike back and put two-straight points in the second set.

But the home team Brahmas’ Chelsea Lawrence proved she was unstoppable in the match.

Kill, kill and then another kill; Lawrence put the home squad up 3-2, and the Warriors could do nothing. Next thing the crowd knew, the score was 10-2 and the Brahmas were on a 10-0 run.

The No. 3 El Camino women’s volleyball team (26-3 overall, 14-0 in the South Coast Conference) never grasped the momentum of the game and fell in straight sets (23-25, 20-25, 18-25) to the No. 2 L.A. Pierce College Brahmas (29-1 overall, 11-1 in the Western State Conference) on Tuesday.

“(It was) a tough match,” EC head coach Le Valley Pattison said. “The passing struggled, we could have been a little better. Jewel (Yandall, sophomore middle blocker) played great, but we couldn’t get into rhythm.”

Nine service aces on the night for the Brahmas and tough serving made it difficult for the Warriors to get the offense going.

“They served a good, fast and flat ball,” Pattison said. “It was challenging.”

There was a lot of things Yandall thought the team could have done better, and although sophomore outside hitter Kezia Boyer struggled and was eventually subbed out, it was a team loss.

“They were competitive,” she said. “The most competitive team we played (all season and) they made us struggle, (but) we could have put up a better block. It’s a team effort, we could have fixed (the mental mistakes).”

Sophomore libero and co-captain Brooke Russell was “pretty upset” over the struggles of the team and the tough loss.

“I thought we could have passed better,” she said. “(We needed) to have more energy, (but) everyone worked really hard this season.”

Russell was named to the All-SoCal Region team after the match, according to the California Community College Athletic Association.

However, freshman setter Nina Wyer said that the team is fine going forward and will get back into the swing of things next season.

“We got worked up,” she said. “(A little) overwhelmed, but it’s been a great season.”

Yandall, who did not play for EC last year, said that the team had a good season and that she had the best time with the team.

“I wouldn’t have ended my volleyball career anywhere than at EC,” she said.

Sophomore outside hitter Nickeisha Williams was named to the All-American State Second team, according to the CCCAA website.