Women’s volleyball takes down Bakersfield 3-1 in second round of playoffs

Warriors’ freshman setter Nina Wyer looks to tip the ball over the Renegades’ McKenna Baaumer during the second round of the Southern California Regionals on Saturday, Nov. 28. El Camino’s women’s volleyball moved onto the third round against L.A. Pierce College after defeating Bakersfield College, 3-1 Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Cruising to a 14-10 lead in the fourth set, the Warriors were ready to finish off the visiting women’s volleyball team.

Then a set from freshman setter Nina Wyer went above the middle of the net and sophomore middle middle blocker Jewel Yandall came flying in to attack the ball.

Unfortunately for the visiting libero Loreana Ramirez, the attack smashed off of her face for an El Camino point, which livened up the crowd.

After feeling all of the “adrenaline” from the attack, Yandall walked up to the net and asked Ramirez if she was fine.

Once the play was over, the No. 3 El Camino women’s volleyball team (26-2 overall) went on to beat the visiting No. 11 Bakersfield College Renegades (16-12 overall) 3-1 in four sets (25-11, 22-25, 25-13, 25-17) on Saturday, Nov. 28.

“It was a fun game,” Yandall said. “It was intense and (we’re) excited to play and we’ve worked really hard. I hope we take it (further) than Tuesday.”

No. 2 L.A. Pierce College swept No. 7 Mira Costa College on Saturday, and EC head coach Le Valley Pattison said it will be a tough match.

“We’ve got nothing to lose,” Pattison said. “Just have to go out and battle.”

Sophomore middle blocker Nia Masui said that it should be a good match to play Pierce at its house.

“I’m excited,” she said. “Road trips are a fun thing, I love the home crowd, but (away games) are a part of the whole (volleyball) experience.”

The defense did well tonight, putting up 53 digs and eight total team blocks compared to Bakersfield’s 43 digs and two total team blocks; but the players said the offense was “clutch.”

Led by sophomore outside hitter Nickeisha Williams’ 15 kills, four players hit double-digits, which seems to be as usual for long matches.

Yandall had a massive night and tied freshman middle blocker/opposite hitter Taylor Brydon with 12 kills, but Yandall had zero errors and sophomore outside hitter Kezia Boyer was not far behind with her 11 kills.

“I tried getting the ball to (Yandall),” Wyer said. “They had small middle blockers, (because) it’s awesome when she’s killing the ball.”

Following the final home game of the 2015 season on Saturday, the women’s volleyball team will go to Pierce on Tuesday, Dec. 1 and play in the third round of playoffs at 6 p.m.

“We’re ready to work hard on Monday,” sophomore libero Brooke Russell said. “It’s a good feeling (to win) and even (if we get down) we need to take a deep breath and regroup.”