Women’s volleyball plays with rotations; still sweep L.A. Trade Tech

Freshman outside hitter Tessy Beth Iwuh spikes the ball during a game against L.A. Trade Tech this Friday, Oct. 30. The Warriors swept L.A. Trade Tech in three sets. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

Nothing exciting was happening in tonight’s bombardment of the visiting women’s volleyball team, but the front-row crowd of football and basketball players were having their fun.

Error after error had the crowd laughing and ridiculing the mistakes of the visiting team.

With the bench being put in and actually doing work with the play-time, there wasn’t much hope for the visitors.

The El Camino women’s volleyball team (19-2 overall, 9-0 in the South Coast Conference) took advantage of the mistakes from the L.A. Trade Tech College Beavers (1-12 overall, 1-8 in the SCC) and dominated at home on Friday.

EC coach Le Valley Pattison played around with the positions tonight due to the absence of freshman middle blocker Taylor Brydon (family issues) and freshman setter Nina Wyer’s absence at practice the day before.

Freshmen outside hitters Tessy Beth Iwuh and Solana Murray found a lot of playing time tonight, considering their usual bench-role.

“I was hyped cheering on the sidelines,” Iwuh (five kills) said. “So when I got to go in, I felt (even more) hyped and I thought I played really good. My passing and talking on the court need some work.”

Murray who was one of two players who played all three sets – the other was freshman outside hitter/setter Skyler Ceballos – had six kills with only one error on the night.

Murray stressed the good work on offense tonight, due to the recent instability of the hitting.

“I was happy to play all three sets,” Murray said. “I thought we had good energy. Our offense has been kind of iffy for the most part, but we did good (tonight).”

Sophomore libero and co-captain Brooke Russell did not play libero tonight, but instead played outside hitter (three kills) and back-row defense (six digs).

“It wanted to let everybody play every position,” Pattison said about the role switch.

Trade Tech scored a total of 28 points (seven in the first, 11 in the second and 10 in the third set), but 16 of those points were off of El Camino errors.

Even with the large amount of points from errors for the Beavers, the Warriors were unfazed throughout the match and sophomore middle blocker Jewel Yandall had no problems posing a perfect hitting percentage with six kills on six attacking attempts.

“At first they were fighting (back),” Yandall said. “Then after a while they became really frustrated with each other and just gave up.”

The women’s volleyball team will be on the road for both of next week’s matches: playing at Pasadena City College (5-3) on Wednesday and at Long Beach City College (2-6) on Friday.