Women’s water polo drops eighth straight; ‘learns from loss’

Freshman goalie Mishael Umejesi coming up for a block during the game against Cerritos College on Monday at El Camino. Photo credit: Jackie Romano

Women’s water polo (0-8) took on Cerritos College (4-6) on Monday and lost its eighth straight game of the season, but scored the most goals of any game so far, 4-23.

“We could have been better,” freshman Kyria Sanchez said. “Our communication was a lot better and we were more in sync. I mean, we can’t get any worse.”

There was much to look forward to, considering many of the players are new and have never played before.

“They reacted better and were more experienced,” freshman Annette Flores-Linares said. “But we learned a lot, we got to shoot more and set things up (correctly).”

Coach Corey Stanbury thought it was great that the women scored the most goals this season, but thought there was a lot of work to do with the new squad.

“We have a lot to learn with where to position ourselves,” Stanbury said. “But we shot well (compared to before), we shot toward the corners instead of at the goalie.”

The next match for the women’s water polo team is against Pasadena City College, but Stanbury and some of the members have said that the PCC team is very good.

“It will be a difficult match,” Stanbury said. “They’re much, much faster. We could get a few strokes ahead of them and they’d beat us to the ball. It’ll be difficult.”

The match against Pasadena City College will be at 3 p.m. in the Pool at home and it will be a conference game.