Men’s water polo remains winless after loss to Cerritos

Goalie Ryan McKinney (sophomore) coming up for a block during the game against Cerritos College on Monday at El Camino. Photo credit: Jackie Romano

Scoring nothing in the first period led to a shaky second period start against Cerritos College for the Warriors.

But after a goal shook the net against Cerritos, the lead was cut down to seven and Cerritos led 1-8.

The men’s water polo team tried to rally back against the Falcons, but to no avail as the Warriors (0-6) fell against the Cerritos Falcons (12-3) 3-22 at home on Monday.

El Camino has yet to score more than four points in a game all season, but with the almost completely new roster and basically brand-new players, there is lots of room to improve, head coach Corey Stanbury said.

“We played better,” Stanbury said. “We had better intensity and we have been starting to anticipate counter attacks. At first we were just dumbfounded.”

Stanbury felt the team wasn’t fast enough to receive the ball, and they need to focus on the offense and recognize when someone is open.

The players have to not only focus on the ball, but they have to do it while swimming and even more so, “wrestle underwater.”

“There’s this finesse of the game that they’re still learning,” Stanbury said. “Like learning how to foul without it looking like a foul, or wrestling without it seeming like it’s wrestling.”

Freshman captain Richard “JR” Beck felt the game went better compared to other games.

“Most people never played,” JR said. “We played an experienced team that’s really good. They kind of went easy on us, but I have to work on calling out more and talking to the guys more. Since I have the most experience, I have to guide the guys.”

Freshman Jack Bradford thought the defense this game was good, but towards the end there were problems.

“We have to work on the endurance at the end,” Bradford said. “We let a lot of goals go at the end. There’s a lot to improve on. We have to find the open person. I mean, if there is no one open, nothing will happen.”

The Warriors look to earn their first win as they travel to LA Trade-Tech on Monday, Oct. 12.