Women’s volleyball team finishes its season and makes it to the playoffs

In the third set of a competitive game, Tarryn Luafalemana, middle blocker, destroyed Long Beach City College’s momentum with a thundering kill that bounced directly to floor and had her teams and coaches in shock.

“It definitely got us excited,” Elise Tizon, outside hitter, said.

“When Tarryn hit the ball, the gym went silent,” Jessica Juarez, assistant coach, said. “Our bench went crazy, we all looked at each other and started cheering for Tarryn.”

The play helped the Warriors lead past Mt. San Antonio College in three straight sets 25-20, 52-21, 25-21.

They improved their record to 18-4 overall and 12-1 in the Southern Coast Conference.

“We came off a big on Wednesday day against Mt. SAC,” Tizon said. “We wanted to focus and beat them in three sets.”

“We played really well,” Juarez said. “We stayed calm, cool and collective.”

The Warriors have improved since the start of the season.

“The team has grown tremendously,” Juarez said. “They are smarter and see the game better.”

The Warriors have dominated its opponents. They have won its last 14 out of 15 games dating back to Sept. 15.

Part of that has to do with the leadership that Luafalemana has taken on.

“She has taken the leadership role and embraced it,” Juarez said. “Every single play she is talking to the girls.”

Even Luafalemana’s teammates are impressed with her leadership.

“She is an amazing player,” Kaleialani Manica, defensive specialist, said of Tarryn.

“I think how she communicates with the players is definitely having a positive attitude, ” Manica said.

A lot of credit goes to the assistant coaches Liz Hazell and Juarez.

“We look at what the girls need to improve on,” Juarez said.

“They help out so much,” Tizon said. “ They make the program so much better, with understanding us players.”

Aside from the win, the Warriors are looking forward to making a deep playoff run.

“We need to keep working hard and fix our mistakes,” Manica said.

“We are excited about the playoffs,” Juarez said. “The girls are working hard getting ready for their first playoff game.”