Men’s soccer team ends its season with a win at Murdock Stadium

With nerves running high and a playoff spot at stake, the Warriors were motivated and determined to play their final game at Murdock Stadium.

A lot of emotions were running through the players as they stepped onto the Murdock field for the last regular season game.

“I was feeling pretty anxious,” Nolan Dean, goalkeeper, said.

“The emotions were really high. We wanted to go out on a positive note,” Ozzy Rodriguez, midfielder said.

That is exactly what the Warriors did as they defeated Long Beach City College 2-1.

Jessie Chamberlain, midfielder, and Claudio Rodriquez, forward, each scored a goal for the Warriors.

Chamberlain scored off of rebound from the goalie in the first half to give the Warriors a lead, 1-0.

He (Chamberlain) knew there was a lot of soccer left to play.

“I felt good, but I knew the game wasn’t over yet,” Chamberlain said.

Towards the end of the second half, Rodriguez put the game away, blasting a goal 20-yards out into the top right corner of the net.

“In the second half, we played better. We scored again,” Rodriguez said. “We were much more aggressive and we were being more physical.”

The Warriors struggled in the first half and described their final game as “scrappy.”

Nagano said that the first 30 minutes of the game were scrappy and they could have definitely played better.

“It was an intense game. We were being dominated,” Rodriguez said. “We were committing mistakes and giving the ball away.”

The Warriors picked up play in the second half.

With 10 minutes left in the game, Frank Arteaga, defense, got a red card and has been suspended for the Warriors next game.

The Warriors know that other players on the team will have to step up their game.

“It’s definitely disappointing, he (Arteaga) is an important asset to the team,” Rodriguez said.

“It sucks not having him (Arteaga), but we have enough debt and talent,” Chamberlain said.

Dean felt “relieved” that the game was finally over and that the team had clinched a playoff spot for the first time in seven years.

“A lot of people were watching, and I just felt relieved that we got the win,” Dean said.

Dean said that not only did it feel good to win their last season game at the Murdock Stadium but to have won at home.

“We are all excited, it was a good win going into the playoffs,” Chamberlain said.

The men’s soccer team will compete at the first round of the play-offs Saturday.

This will be the first time in seven years that the men’s soccer team makes it to the playoffs.