Women’s water polo team ends its season

A season of teamwork resulted in the “perfect play” during the Warriors’ match against Mt. San Antonio College last Thursday at the South Coast Conference Championships.

“Alex Jett slides in and Ariel Carrillo then hits with a perfect pass, firing the ball across the cage to score,” Shanese Douglas, goalie, said.

“Everyone was screaming and cheering and just so happy because it was a perfect play,” Douglas added.

Coach Corey Stanbury said that the Warriors played a solid game against a very good Mt. SAC squad, but was unable to score as much as they were hoping to.

“Everyone really stepped it up this game; we were executing on all the things we worked on at practice,” Douglas said. “It was just that they stepped their game up as well.”

Though remaining positive throughout the game, Mt. SAC won, 10-3, in the first match of the SCC Championships against the Warriors last Thursday.

“We really couldn’t be upset though because we knew we did our best,” she added.

Following a solid game, the Warriors’ next match was against L.A. Trade Tech, which resulted in a positive outcome for both the team as a whole, and Ariel Carrillo.

Taking the game with a win, 13-3, against L.A. Trade Tech, the Warriors conquered the game with a final lead by five.

“We had already played them three times and beat them with no problem so there wasn’t really any worry going into that game,” Douglas said.

“But we still knew that we had to play tough and get ready for our last game on Saturday,” she added.

Douglas said that because of the loss against Mt. SAC on Thursday, the Warriors were pushed from fourth to play Pasadena for the fifth place Saturday.

“Kim Alvarado scored from the 3-1 set and the Warriors worked an isolation play to Alexis Solaro to tie it up with 30 seconds remaining,” Stanbury said.

Solaro scored three goals while Alvarado and Jett each scored one against Mt. SAC. Douglas had 10 saves.

“El Camino got the ball back, but could not score on the final play of regulation,” Stanbury added.

Pasadena scored on a break away and a tipped shot to win, resulting in a loss for the Warriors 7-5.

“Going into the game against Pasadena, we knew that they would be a tough team to play,”  Carrillo said.

“We really brought it though and played hard. The game ended in overtime so you know that we really tried our best.”

“I feel like the season ended on a great note, it was a lot of work but I am so happy that I got to be a part of it,” Kimberly Alvarado, utility, said.