Women’s soccer team places fourth in South Coast Conference Game

It was the longest 90 minutes the Warriors had ever played in the conference.

With players missing from the team’s regular starting lineup and almost no available substitutes, the Warriors lost to the Cerritos College Falcons, 4-0, last Friday.

“We kept fighting for the entire 90 minutes,” Britton said. “We were not strong as normal. We were missing four strong starters but we did not quit.”

Britton said that despite the loss, the Warriors played better than the first time the team played against Cerritos.

“We were not absolutely happy with the performance, but we had improved compared to the first game we had earlier in the season where Cerritos defeated us heavily with a win, 7-1,” Britton said.

Jaymie Baquero, assistant coach, said that some players were injured during their game against Mt. San Antonio College and during their practice.

“It is an unfortunate thing, but we fought and worked hard as we could,” Baquero said.

“Cerritos is No. 1 in the Southern California region and with how we played you can see major improvement; we played a lot better than the first time we fought against them,” Baquero added.

Natalie Medina, defender, said that the injuries made the game harder for the team as it made the players play the duration of the game.

“It was just hard for us to score even though we tried not to put our heads down,” Medina said. “We did not play a bad game. Most of our players were hurt, so there was only so much that we can do.”

“We had a struggle today, but Cerritos had more substitutes than we had, so we are kind of tired due to injuries,” Medina added.

It was Medina’s first game after coming back from an injury.

Alyssa Heely, goalkeeper, said that the Warriors had four shots, three shots on goal and five saves.

“We had some opportunities. Unfortunately we weren’t able to kick them in the back of the net,” Heely said. “They (Cerritos) got some good goals but we are pretty even with them in terms of aggressiveness.”

Cerritos had 21 shots, 11 shots on goal, four assists and four saves.

“We played tough for the first half with 2-0 down but we played quite well,” Britton said.

“In the second half we gave everything we had and gave up two more goals, unfortunately we lost, 4-0,” Britton added.

Moreover, Baquero said that despite the loss, the Warriors with 5-9-2, 4-5-1 is fourth place in the South Coast Conference game with Cerritos in the first place, Mt. SAC in the second, and Pasadena in the third.

“We lost to a better team,” Britton said.

“But it was good to see the players give their 100 percent for the whole 90 minutes.”