Women’s water polo team wins, 20-6

Calling for the ball from goalie Shanese Douglas, Alexis Solaro executed a precise counter attack, resulting in an assist to Camila Cardonatto who scored a goal for the Warriors against L.A. Trade Tech last Wednesday.

Preparing for the game, the Warriors had anticipated a strong team effort from the beginning to carry them through to victory.

“We always want to start off strong in the beginning when we go against L.A. Trade Tech and then execute on things we worked on in practice,” Douglas said.

The Warriors won 20-6, by practicing and preparing for a tough game against L.A. Trade Tech.

“The Warriors divided its starting line up to give everyone playing time,” Corey Stanbury, coach, said.

Though it seemed an easy game overall for the Warriors, the victory was not won without a struggle or two.

“I went up for the block, the ball hits my hands and as I’m falling backwards the ball lands right behind me,” Douglas said.

“I turn around to flick it out and I flick it right into the net. The good thing was we were up by a lot because that would have been a game changer and not in a positive way,” she added.

Stanbury said that the final goal of the game was scored by Cardonatto and also tied Ariel Carrillo’s single season record for assists.

Stanbury said this was an accomplishment for Carrillo in the game against L.A. Trade Tech who rounded out her collection of assists to tie the school single season record at 32.

Alexis Solaro followed closely behind Carrillo with 25 assists for the season.

“It’s really exciting to have this friendly competition between us,” Carrillo said.

“We knew going into the L.A. Trade Tech game that we would need to run our plays so we could get prepared for our tough games ahead at the championships,” Douglas said.

Stanbury said that the Warriors will be prepared for the challenging games and competitions that lie ahead.

“For SCC Championships we will definitely be practicing hard and working on plays that we know if executed correctly will win,” Douglas said.

“The key thing for us going into the first game against Mt. SAC will be to stop them with our defense and to really execute our offense early,” Douglas added.

The Warriors are the No. 5 seed and will be participating in the South Coast Conference Championships against the No. 4 seed Mt. San Antonio College at Cerritos College today.

“Our whole plan starts with great practices this week and then just take it one game at a time,” Douglas said.